Books for Baby Boy

I don’t think it’s a derail: I disagreed, you explained. Nothing wrong with a discussion.

I tend to disagree with this:

So while I think OP would actually like this, it’s the avoidance of stuff that we don’t agree with that I try to avoid, if that makes sense.

But no hard feelings: I call out stuff I disagree with, expect people to do the same with me.

Well, considering my daughter is 5, I don’t think there’s any harm in avoiding LGBT stuff, or any other woke nonsense, in her literature. The way a subject is taught can be just as important as the subject itself… thats really what the goal is.

If she were older, you and I would be aligned here:

but she’s just 5, so no harm done. When she’s older and can filter information for herself, I wont be restricting what she learns. Until then, I think a parental filter is pretty important.

Its not like I’m teaching her that one day some dude in the sky decided to light up a sun, just trying to give her a good foundation.

What’s wrong with that?

I’m not religious at all (a non-religious conservative? Say whaaaat?) and the wife is jewish, with emphasis on the jewish.

I’ll happily teach her about religions and what they believe in, but not until she’s old enough. The difference is that I wont be proclaiming these to be facts.

I could tell her that the world is flat, or to fear the flying spaghetti monster, or that we must sacrifice a virgin to make the sun come up, but none of these are teaching her anything.

Really had to go on the derail, didn’t you? Lol

Why don’t people just read the classics? The Very Hungry Caterpillar or something, haha. If this thread was originally for a baby boy, just read that stuff, it’s basic but it’s for young children, it doesn’t need to involve supporting or protesting Marxism. (Unless the caterpillar is a Marxist, I don’t want to speak for him.)

4 Likes

Remember when Barney being gay was the big thing in childhood entertainment?

I miss those days.

My kid loved Thomas The Tank Engine. As per Powerpuffs recommendation, we read to kiddo every night from the time he was born, and still do because he still loves it (he’ll be 10 in sept.).

And true to the recommendation, his scores across all metrics are very well above average.

I don’t know the science behind why it works, but I will vouch for it working.

3 Likes

Yup. All the kids I know who were read to seem a little smarter than the ones who weren’t. Or at least they’re able to express their intelligence better. Trying to do that with my own little guy.

2 Likes

The problem isn’t in the classics, and it isn’t in books meant for literal babies. I mentioned the age range and it seemed relevant to the thread that literally asked for books like this.

I don’t see why that’s odd to anyone.

1 Like

I skimmed over this the first time I read it. But wait, he is? I did not know that was a thing, haha.

I dunno. He never got handsy with me so…:man_shrugging:t2:

That was controversial like 30 years ago though. I think that was Rush Limbaugh.

I really do miss the time when this stuff was much simpler. I’ve seen quite a bit of it first hand, so I know the claims do have teeth.

It would be nice if we could go back to a time when Dr. Seuss was very clever, Clifford was just a big red dog, and Curious George was just a monkey.

3 Likes

Idk about that
I’ve seen very offensive illustrations made by him.

I still read Dr. Seuss’s Sleep Book sometimes. Love that thing.

3…2…1…

Edit: I was expecting an explosion of some sort but that didnt happen.

1 Like

Read Fox In Socks out loud then ask yourself if you could write something similar.

1 Like

This Dr. Sus guy is brilliant
He even predicted Joe Biden :scream:

2 Likes

He’s Nostradamus for kids.

Edit: you may not even want to go near the Yertle The Turtle void. It will change you.

2 Likes

I don’t get the hype around Dr. Seuss

You really need to do a critique after a read. Like with “Where the Wild Things are” Max is quite the little male pistol, but he takes leadership over the 'Wild Things," has a good rumpus, but then realizes that disrespecting his mother led to his isolation and he discovered that he really wanted to be with “the one who loves him best of all” rather than the wild life. Of course, you have to key the critique to the age of the boy, but it can get more complex as they get older over multiple re-reads. WTWTA is grades 1-2, so lots of opportunity to explore the book and dads like the book as well. Most boys identify with Max (my son and grandson did) and what is important is to show that there is nothing wrong with being ‘wild’ (it has survival benefit), it just has to be controlled and that is the essence of healthy masculinity.