Big Arms In A Compound World

[quote]Professor X wrote:

One can continue to learn without following the hand written routines of another. Not one author here had a thing to do with anything I ahve learned in school about biology. Blasphemy, you say? No, it is the truth. I have never had even one author from this forum as a professor in any class I ever took throughout my education. Believe it…or not.
[/quote]

I don’t say blasphemy.
This site isn’t holy. And neither are my professors, or the research we conduct.
Draw whatever conclusion you want from that sentence I wrote, and turn whatever in an endless discussion about nothing at all.
Read whatever you want, and listen to whoever you want, it doesn’t matter.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Hell, even if they exist, why do you think this is the best thing to do?
[/quote]

Where did I say they I think you should ?

Let me try to break this thing down, in simple English, because apparently problems arise :

If one reads the articles, then he might understand where someone might get the idea of performing only compound exercises. He might get the idea from those articles.
Not the facts.
The ideas.

Just like fad diets cause people to get the idea that more of the same is better. Not the facts. The idea.

5 years is a while.

Beautiful. Just as true. Now chill, and don’t take every post that’s regarded to you as an attack on your person, no matter how hard you’re striving for acknowledgement.

But you’ve got mine, if that makes you feel better, and I fully acknowledge all points you’ve made.

bigirishstu,

This thread got too complicated for no good reason.

If you’re not satisfied with your bicep development, then start curling (doh!), like 1x a week for 3x8 or similar. For some people, isolation work is needed and that’s a fact. Maybe you need even more than 3x8.

If regular bar curls bother your rock climbing etc. try EZ bar curls, or maybe incline bench DB Curls, where relatively lighter weight is used, but they still hit the biceps pretty good. Hopefully, you’ll manage to make everything work.

However, if doing curls proves to be problematic, for whatever reason, than you’ll have to decide what is your priority: arm size or performance in rock climbing. But, it is very unlikely you won’t be able to tolerate just 3 additional sets of curls. Even if your arms start getting sore or tired at first, keep with it until you adapt.

Here is your solution in an easy to swallow compound lift pill…

Power Curls

Checkout Dan John’s “Get UP!” newsletter or try searching on T-Nation.

Basically, it’s a powerclean with an underhand grip. After you clear your hips, you power curl the bar to the top.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
bigirishstu wrote:
Thirdly, I think the physique I’m going for can be achieved with just compound movements. I don’t want massive guns but I do want a proportional athletic look. I’ve had good results with my triceps from the bench so I’m sure this is achievable with some of the solutions the other guys on this thread have mentioned.
All that said there’s alot of truth in what you say and you’ve definitely made me think twice about my workout.

If rock climbing makes you happy, do what you feel. However, you wrote:

The only problem is my biceps. For some reason they’ve gone pretty soft.

Well, gee, Houston, though we can see a solution, we still have a problem.[/quote]

Prof X, I don’t see a problem with this statement. I don’t remember saying “Oh Shit! My biceps have shrunk from 20” to 16"! Poor me! Sob" etc. I was hoping for a solution to adopt into my current workout that would get some tone back into my arms. That’s it. You questioned the value of my workout. Cool. Looking at your stats you’re probably far more qualified to do that then I am myself. And I’ll probably end up doing isolation exercises. But not after I’ve tried to stick with my plan. Hell, I’ve scribbled it down in a little pink notebook with a unicorn on the front so I’ve got to!

[quote]slotan wrote:
bigirishstu,

This thread got too complicated for no good reason.

If you’re not satisfied with your bicep development, then start curling (doh!), like 1x a week for 3x8 or similar. For some people, isolation work is needed and that’s a fact. Maybe you need even more than 3x8.

If regular bar curls bother your rock climbing etc. try EZ bar curls, or maybe incline bench DB Curls, where relatively lighter weight is used, but they still hit the biceps pretty good. Hopefully, you’ll manage to make everything work.

However, if doing curls proves to be problematic, for whatever reason, than you’ll have to decide what is your priority: arm size or performance in rock climbing. But, it is very unlikely you won’t be able to tolerate just 3 additional sets of curls. Even if your arms start getting sore or tired at first, keep with it until you adapt.
[/quote]

This is beginning to look like the best solution, although being a lazy git I didn’t want to add to my workout. Tried getgot211’s suggestion of alternating pronated and supinated rows (cheers for that) just now. I did feel more of a pump in the upper part of my bicep and I think I’ll definitely adopt it for the next 3-4 weeks. But me thinks you and Prof X are right and I’ll be adding curls in about a month.

[quote]bigirishstu wrote:
This is beginning to look like the best solution, although being a lazy git I didn’t want to add to my workout. Tried getgot211’s suggestion of alternating pronated and supinated rows (cheers for that) just now. I did feel more of a pump in the upper part of my bicep and I think I’ll definitely adopt it for the next 3-4 weeks. But me thinks you and Prof X are right and I’ll be adding curls in about a month.[/quote]

If time the issue, you can definetly squeeze in a rest-paused set of curls. One way of doing it is to take your 8RM weight, do 6-7 conecutive reps, take 2-3 deep breaths, do 2-3 reps more, rest again, 2-3 reps… Aim for 15-16 reps total. It should take no more than 2 minutes.

I’ve got an idea for you -

I’m EXTREMELY small boned. 5 7/8" wrists. My arms look horribly dispreportionate to my chest/core/back, which is my physique strong point. What helped me arms and shoulders a lot (weak points) were static holds involved in gymnastics and breakdancing. Check out some websites for some basic gymnastic drills. You’ll only be able to do some of the static holds for a few seconds, but keep at it. I found doing them whenever I had some free time (commercial on TV, whatever) helped me gain a lot of strength and hardness. Best of luck!