BCAA Calories?

I have researched this extensively without any luck. I am dieting for a show and for this first time plan to supplement with added BCAA’s.

Do you count the BCAA’s toward your daily kcal intake?

Do they covert just like protein. For example: 10g BCAA’s = 10g protein = 40 kcal?

Also, does glutamine count the same way? 40g glutamine = 160kcal?

What is the answer?

Thanks!

no because they are not a whole protein source.

Technically, the BCAAs can be converted to succinyl CoA (Valine, Isoleucine) and acetyl coenzyme A (Leucine, Isoleucine). Succinyl CoA can enter the citric acid cycle and produce glucose, making Isoleucine and Valine glucogenic. Acetyl CoA can, in a catabolic process, be used to produce ketone bodies for fuel, making Leucine glucogenic.

Glutamine is glucogenic as well.

So, they can be used to produce fuel substrates for the body. The question is to what extent are they going to be used for fuel, and this probably depends on the macronutrient breakdown of your diet and the size of your caloric deficit, along with the amount of amino acids you’re taking in.

You may just want to have a seperate category for amino acids and calories derived from amino acids, if you’re recording everything, and evaluate your progress as time progresses. Good luck in your show!

Thanks.

Any other opinions/thoughts?

Whoa whoa whoa, this is extremely debatable, but do not even begin to think just because it is not a whole protein, it doesn’t count. Think about peanut butter, which has anywhere from 5-7 grams of protein, ALBEIT INCOMPLETE PROTEIN, but it remains to add to the caloric content. Whether or not to count amino acids towards caloric content depends on a ton of different factors. Glutamine, when on a lowcarb diet, has been show to have the ability and preference to convert to glycogen through gluconeogenisis when taken post workout, and in high quanities. Gluconeogensis leads to a raise in blood sugar altough it’s delayed.

CT takes around 60bcaa peri-workout, and when asked whether he counts it towrds his macros or not he responded:

1. Once your body is adapted to use fat for fuel it is possible to raise protein without risking of using it as your primary fuel source, as long as fat intake is sufficient.

2. BCAA’s consuming during a workout ARE used for fuel, at least in part. That’s because they bypass the normal digestive process and are basically metabolized in the muscle (which is why it’s possible to consume large doses at one time).

The fact that the BCAA’s are used for fuel IS a benefit, especially when in a fat-loss phase as it will spare the little muscle glycogen that I have.

Take it or leave it. It really depends if your diet is ketogenic or not. Time taken, and what not.

[quote]GrabAKimber wrote:
Whoa whoa whoa, this is extremely debatable, but do not even begin to think just because it is not a whole protein, it doesn’t count. Think about peanut butter, which has anywhere from 5-7 grams of protein, ALBEIT INCOMPLETE PROTEIN, but it remains to add to the caloric content. Whether or not to count amino acids towards caloric content depends on a ton of different factors. Glutamine, when on a lowcarb diet, has been show to have the ability and preference to convert to glycogen through gluconeogenisis when taken post workout, and in high quanities. Gluconeogensis leads to a raise in blood sugar altough it’s delayed.

CT takes around 60bcaa peri-workout, and when asked whether he counts it towrds his macros or not he responded:

1. Once your body is adapted to use fat for fuel it is possible to raise protein without risking of using it as your primary fuel source, as long as fat intake is sufficient.

2. BCAA’s consuming during a workout ARE used for fuel, at least in part. That’s because they bypass the normal digestive process and are basically metabolized in the muscle (which is why it’s possible to consume large doses at one time).

The fact that the BCAA’s are used for fuel IS a benefit, especially when in a fat-loss phase as it will spare the little muscle glycogen that I have.

Take it or leave it. It really depends if your diet is ketogenic or not. Time taken, and what not.
[/quote]

Hmmm…I am currently dropping bodyfat at a fairly constant rate. I am not doing a keto diet. I am carb cycling with high and low days currently. I plan on sipping 10g during AM cardio. 10g During Lifting. 10g pre bedtime.

Without knowing much about the topic, if your taking 30gs and 2 of the doses are before physical activity, I wouldn’t worry too much about the caloric content for a cutting diet. I do agree with ND to keep a log and possibly do some experimentation to see what sort of results come.

Does ANYONE know how the hell ur supposed to take bcaa during a workout without it tasking disgusting? I’ve thought about mixing it with juice but im on a low-carb diet and unfortunatley can’t do that. Should I just suck it up and get on with it?
Also, it doesnt seem to mix very well at all. Any suggestions?

crystal light

or

squirt of lemon juice-I found this really does the trick.

Though, I used to dislike it…now I don’t mind it at all…I just spoon it into my mouth and drink water.

NAG brand N-acetyl glutamine + bcaas cancel out each others’ nasty taste. NAG is sickening sweet, and BCAAs are puke-worthy, but somehow when you mix the two together, they take each others’ edge off. Just a thought…

Ben