Single vs Married

Married people want their single friends to get married because deep down they’re bitter about all the freedom (social, lifestyle, and financial) that the single people have.

[quote]hardgnr wrote:

I read that you won’t be happy in a relationship unless you can be happy alone and with yourself. I agree with this.[/quote]

I agree with this. It makes me think of why I always see young homeless people with dogs. They can’t even take care of themselves, and yet they feel the need to take responsibility for another living creature. Poor dogs.

As for marriage, streamline, I agree with you that if you do not think it is right for you, it probably isn’t, because if you do decide to marry and your current mindset remains the same, the both of you are going to be miserable.

I was of the “forever single” mindset for the longest time. I had plenty of one-night and multiple-night stands, as well as plenty of steady girlfriends, none of whom I ever had any intention of marrying. Coming to Japan, if anything, just made things worse, because an easy thing got even easier (even a reasonably attractive western guy in Japan can pretty much have his pick of whatever he wants).

However, the moment I met my wife, everything changed. My outlook, my desires, my priorities and thoughts about the future, all of it. I am VERY happily married to the most awesome, beautiful, kind, generous, thoughtful, like-minded, selfless girl I have ever met, and now, only in retrospect, do I realize that a large part of my life was unfulfilled all those years.

I’m not saying you should get married at all. I am saying that sometimes things change unexpectedly and your whole view of the matter changes with them.

Oh, all that said, for the record, I think the world would probably be a lot better place if more people waited to get married or decided not to do so at all…

[quote]Noodle_Arms wrote:
Married people want their single friends to get married because deep down they’re bitter about all the freedom (social, lifestyle, and financial) that the single people have.[/quote]

Single people secretly envy married people because of all of the personal fulfillment, deep, true, non-fleeting love, shared special moments, and true intimate knowledge of one another that the married people have.

See, I can do that, too :wink:

Been single for 4 years.

I think it sucks.

[quote]Cortes wrote:
Single people secretly envy married people because of all of the personal fulfillment, deep, true, non-fleeting love, shared special moments, and true intimate knowledge of one another that the married people have.
[/quote]

That’s some of the funniest shit I’ve read in a while.

Another reason for married guys to badger their single friends toward marriage: for the guys who married harpies, it is easier for them to hang with their buds if the other guys are married as well. Some wives get jealous and/or paranoid when their hubby is out with single guys, thinking that he will be chasing tail the same as the others.

I got lucky in that regard, my wife is awesome. She doesn’t sweat me on much, lets me do just about whatever I want as long as I respect her schedule(when she is working) and spend time with the family. I work with dudes whose wives freak out if they find porn in the house, my wife just tells me to keep it put away so the kids don’t find it(daughter found a tape once while we were out, THAT was an interesting conversation with the babysitter).

You are judging marriage from guys who are not happy with their lives. I’ve been with my wife almost twelve years, married almost ten. I have a great job, kids are cool, my only bitch would be for more income. Like was said above, if you are happy single, then who cares what other guys say. If and when you meet someone who you match with well, someone who complements you well, then you make your own decision.

just get high and rollerblade till you die. sounds like a lot of fun.

You can be married and still completey self absorbed.

In fact, with a wife you woudn’t need the internet to start a thread about it. You coud just tell her all the time about how baked you are and that rollerblading while baked is soooo cooool!

I was married. Now I’m not. Being single is so much more rewarding.

  1. Your money is your money.
  2. You don’t have to spend your money on dumb shit.
  3. You actually have money.

Plus, I just don’t think a lot of people know what it takes…or even have to ability to make that commitment.

And you’ll have more money…

I was married, but have been a single parent of 2 for more than a decade. I’m lucky though in that their mother is out of the picture and I’ve had them 24/7/365 with the exception of deployments.

I prefer being single for inumerable reasons, but certainly have nothing against marriage and wish only hapiness for those that opt for it.

Deployements…man did I have to fork out a fortune for childcare at those times, but I had good providers working for me.

Never received a dime from the “womb donor” btw.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Spike-el wrote:
I was married. Now I’m not. Being single is so much more rewarding.

  1. Your money is your money.
  2. You don’t have to spend your money on dumb shit.
  3. You actually have money.

Plus, I just don’t think a lot of people know what it takes…or even have to ability to make that commitment.

And you’ll have more money…

And we all know that money buys happiness.[/quote]

Yep.

That whole ‘money doesn’t buy happiness thing’ is just a rumor. Don’t believe everything you hear.

If money does buy happiness, a wife may come in handy:

[i]This study systematically examined variation in point-in-time estimates across alternative measures of earnings, definitions of types of couples, and data sources and gauged the persistence of these patterns for a period of three calendar years using data from the 2000 Current Population Survey and the 1996-2000 Survey of Income and Program Participation.

Among the findings are that in 19% to 30% of all married couples, wives have higher earnings than their husbands. In 60% of such couples, this arrangement persists over the three-year period; for the rest, this arrangement is transitory.[/i] --Winkler et al (2005)

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
If money does buy happiness, a wife may come in handy:

[i]This study systematically examined variation in point-in-time estimates across alternative measures of earnings, definitions of types of couples, and data sources and gauged the persistence of these patterns for a period of three calendar years using data from the 2000 Current Population Survey and the 1996-2000 Survey of Income and Program Participation.

Among the findings are that in 19% to 30% of all married couples, wives have higher earnings than their husbands. In 60% of such couples, this arrangement persists over the three-year period; for the rest, this arrangement is transitory.[/i] --Winkler et al (2005)[/quote]

OR

The man saves his money, has meaningless sex with random women, and is buried with all of his money.

You must have options, Emily.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
EmilyQ wrote:
If money does buy happiness, a wife may come in handy:

[i]This study systematically examined variation in point-in-time estimates across alternative measures of earnings, definitions of types of couples, and data sources and gauged the persistence of these patterns for a period of three calendar years using data from the 2000 Current Population Survey and the 1996-2000 Survey of Income and Program Participation.

Among the findings are that in 19% to 30% of all married couples, wives have higher earnings than their husbands. In 60% of such couples, this arrangement persists over the three-year period; for the rest, this arrangement is transitory.[/i] --Winkler et al (2005)

OR

The man saves his money, has meaningless sex with random women, and is buried with all of his money.

You must have options, Emily.[/quote]

In my scenario, the wife is showering him with money! What more does he want?!

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
WolBarret wrote:
EmilyQ wrote:
If money does buy happiness, a wife may come in handy:

[i]This study systematically examined variation in point-in-time estimates across alternative measures of earnings, definitions of types of couples, and data sources and gauged the persistence of these patterns for a period of three calendar years using data from the 2000 Current Population Survey and the 1996-2000 Survey of Income and Program Participation.

Among the findings are that in 19% to 30% of all married couples, wives have higher earnings than their husbands. In 60% of such couples, this arrangement persists over the three-year period; for the rest, this arrangement is transitory.[/i] --Winkler et al (2005)

OR

The man saves his money, has meaningless sex with random women, and is buried with all of his money.

You must have options, Emily.

In my scenario, the wife is showering him with money! What more does he want?!
[/quote]

He’d want her to cook him a steak dinner while he has alone time with the money. They can cuddle after dinner.

[quote]elano wrote:
Been single for 4 years.

I think it sucks.[/quote]

I was in love once.

That was 3 years ago. Everything since then hasn’t gon efarther then hooking up.

and I’m 16.

I suck.

I love being married. Nothing can compare to the closeness, love and friendship that a great wife offers. Every year together you become closer and closer. I have the most easy going wife, never nags, very beautiful with Looks like Sarah Jessica Parker / Glen Close. My woman is very stoic. Best part is, she does not know shes hot :slight_smile:

I don’t feel like i sacrificed anything. I feel like i actually gained in life. Shes my greatest treasure and my best asset. I don’t feel like anyone should have to sacrifice anything for a good marriage. It should just “click” right away. It should be easy.

To have a good marriage both parties have to be of good moral fiber and always kind to each other.

Being single might be fun but a good marriage is unbeatable.

A good marriage is far better than a happy single life.

A bad marriage is way worse than a bad single life.

Don’t choose poorly.