Scottie Scheffler & The Thin Blue Line

Cliff Notes:

Scottie Scheffler is a PGA golfer who was stuck in traffic and erroneously drove over a median to bypass said traffic and make tee time.

A police officer told Scottie to stop, and Scottie rolled his window down to discuss the situation, and began driving.

At this point the officer reached in to the open window and was briefly dragged as Scottie came to a stop again.

Scottie was clearly wrong for driving on a median and continuing to proceed after being instructed to stop. He probably should be ticketed here.

Discussion:

Is he guilty of deadly assault on an officer or is the officer a dumbass deserving of a near Darwin Award for trying to physically stop a moving vehicle with his hands?

More broadly, how far should carte blanche protection of officers extend?

Cue no-knocks, qualified immunity et cetera.

I’m curious to hear from some of the self-proclaimed conservative voices here especially, keeping in mind a police force above reproach is an extremely “big government” scenario.

Hoping not to devolve in to debating Derek Chavin vs the world , but instead objectively discuss police immunity usefulness and realistic limitations.

1 Like

If the police tell you to stop, STOP. Period.

There is a very good possibility that they have a reason for doing so. You are never the center of the universe! And that includes the best golfer in the world. Even if the police just don’t understand your situation.

4 Likes

No. Thats just over charging to land on the actual charge after the attorneys get involved.

Also no. He saw somebody acting erratically and had to respond to the situation in real time.

Stepping out of line at a scene like that is a massive flaming red flag. Like freakin huge, and there is tons of shit that can go wrong when all the moving parts are doing what they’re supposed to and a wrench comes driving into it.

I’ve gotten into some serious conflicts, one very recently doing storm damage clean up, when a dildo decided to jump the line and drive into our work area.

Thats how people get seriously injured and killed.

Thats very likely what the cop was thinking/experiencing.

I don’t believe the police tried to stop a rich white guy. This whole story sounds fishy.

3 Likes

He actually did the one thing that made him most likely to get his ass beat by a cop.

The story i heard is one officer told him to do one thing and the arresting officer was telling him to stop after Scottie following instructions from the first officer

sooooo, who knows

1 Like

I don’t know any details about the event except what @Njord described, so this seems like the most obvious conclusion to draw from it.

As to the broader discussion, I would never expect someone to volunteer for a job where they are tasked with responding to the most dangerous and chaotic situations that materialize in society but also held responsible for the outcomes to such a degree that losing everything they have worked for is a distinct possibility.

My town of nearly 40,000 people is presently unable to produce individuals who self select to work in local law enforcement. We have to hire from away.

I don’t think that is a good situation. Guys getting high in the park and then hanging out in the library probably disagree with me. So do the people who have successfully commoditized the most troubled and needy people in society.

Something has resulted in a formerly sought-after, respected and competitive profession becoming a job that almost nobody who lives here wants to do.

1 Like

Is there a possibility that this is because ownership of mistakes has been introduced where qualified immunity was once a shelter to hide them under?

This is what I hear from a couple friends in law enforcement, even if framed differently. One a patrol officer, the other a detective who is admittedly removed from front line risk.

Is the presumption that police should be given implicit immunity because they chose a hard job?

1 Like

I suppose that’s a possibility but I haven’t seen or heard any evidence for that to be the case.

Like all jobs, you are stuck with the people who are willing to do it.

1 Like

In Scottie’s case I agree. He is not entitled to jump a traffic stop around a barricaded accident scene.

To be clear, I believe he should be ticketed/prosecuted for this event.

I would separate the charge of deadly assault of an officer, however. He did not intentionally drag anybody, and stopped in 30-40 yards after the officer grabbed inside of his car from what I have read. This really isn’t much considering the chain of events. Certainly a quick realization and reaction to his new cling-on.

Do you believe he should be charged with deadly assault in this case, or is the officer a moron who put both himself and Scottie in an unnecessarily precarious position by seemingly attempting to hold a car in place with his hands?

I guess my larger question is whether or not police should assume immunity or be held responsible for mistakes.

At the very least should they be unable to throw additional charges at people after creating a chain of events with their own mistake ultimately resulting in the situation they are throwing additional charges at?

1 Like

The only person that definitively did anything wrong here is the officer, who violated department policy by not having his bodycam on.

The recently released videos do not corroborate the police’s side of the story. The arresting officer also has a pretty lengthy suspension record: Louisville police officer who arrested Scottie Scheffler had been previously suspended - Yahoo Sports

Charges aren’t being pursued any longer (EDIT: not officially dropped yet, just officer/golfer agreeing)

3 Likes

I’ve briefly read up on the event and don’t see any video of the alleged assault.

I don’t see any evidence that Schleiffer was acting reasonably and I haven’t seen any evidence that the officer was acting unreasonably. Everything I’ve read about the situation so far leads me to conclude that Schlesinger was acting like a selfish and reckless jerk who believes that hitting tiny balls is a lot more important than it really is.

It seems the officer is being disciplined for failing to activate his body camera, which also seems reasonable to me.

1 Like

If this is actually what happened, he should definitely have been charged with deadly assault. 30 to 40 yards???!!! Are you kidding me? How about two feet! If I were the policeman, I’d have pulled him out of the car, and… probably lost my job.

I am a law and order kinda guy. And an athlete taking 30 t0 40 yards to find the brake pedal sure looks more like intent than panic. The policeman is there to assure order and everyone is safe. Public safety is their mission. Allow them to do their job.

He should be charged with whatever seemed appropriate at the time of the arrest. As to being convicted, that is a completely different story.

To @twojarslave point: the officer is probably a moron for taking the thankless job.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn’t have left my hand inside the car while it was moving, but I can assure you I would have tracked the driver down and arrested him.

Scottie’s “precarious position” is solely his own making.

We either have law and order, for all. Or we don’t actually have law and order.

2 Likes

No, and it doesn’t look as though he’s charged with that.

I doubt he tried to do that; probably tried to get the attention of the driver, or did it before, or just as, the vehicle began moving.

I don’t think this question is really related to this incident, but they don’t have that. Police officers are there as fall men for government policies, when they allow themselves to be that.

Not typically useful; but should not be off-limits in all situations, always and forever.

Should exist. Most people don’t understand it.

1 Like

When a person is breaking the commands of an officer, that person is not likely aware that the officer has a lengthy record of suspensions. The person should be complying with the directives of the officer as if the officer knows way more than the person driving the car. If the officer should not be on the force, that is not your concern at the time of the event. Your concern is complying with the directives of the officer. Public safety is supreme.

1 Like

I’m intentionally snipping this quote as it relates to my question.

Not being dismissive of your commentary otherwise, but it essentially reads “let the police do whatever they want, unquestionably. They are the police after all”. I disagree, ironically because I see law and order defiled by the police as a problem. And 30 to 40 yards goes quick in a car. It doesn’t seem unreasonable to me that the matter of seconds this would have taken would also be a quick processing and response time. But I digress.

Say an officer is chasing a shoplifter. Make it NY City, and in this imagined scenario the shoplifter and officer have scaled a fire escape and are now jumping rooftop to rooftop. The officer refuses to call for backup and instead slips and falls to his death.

Did the shoplifter murder him?

With traffic stopped all around you and you are off the paved road, when 30 to 40 yards goes by quickly, you are engaged in reckless driving, or you need a brake job. The officer did get his hand inside the car, so it is not likely that it went speeding by.

QI has never been carte blanche for us. Not even close.

EVERY case of deadly force, use of force, etc… is thoroughly scrutinized and has to meet reasonable standards.

This was just a bone head move rooted in entitlement. Hopefully the douche learns a lesson

3 Likes

I don’t see how this applies to the Scottie Scheffler situation, driving a 2 ton motorized vehicle.

But if you must ask, do NYPD officers chase shoplifters?