Pro Gaming: Sport or Not A Sport

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
A-Dizz wrote:
Not a sport, it’s a game.

Baseball is a game, golf is a game. Just like video games, they require tremendous amounts of skill to be in the elite, but they’re not sports.

Football is a sport. Hockey, soccer, basketball, lacrosse. Those are all sports.

-dizzle

Not according to Carlin. Running around a field with a net on the end of a stick is a faggoty college activity, not a sport.

I actually like lacrosse but thought it was funny.[/quote]

And gymnastics isn’t a sport because Romanians are good at it.

It’s a game, not a sport. A sport involves athleticism.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
A-Dizz wrote:
Not a sport, it’s a game.

Baseball is a game, golf is a game. Just like video games, they require tremendous amounts of skill to be in the elite, but they’re not sports.

Football is a sport. Hockey, soccer, basketball, lacrosse. Those are all sports.

-dizzle

Not according to Carlin. Running around a field with a net on the end of a stick is a faggoty college activity, not a sport.

I actually like lacrosse but thought it was funny.[/quote]

Oh that’s right Zap. My apologies. Hockey isn’t a sport either because the main object is a urinal cake. :wink:

-dizzle

[quote]SinisterMinister wrote:
Not a sport. It involves strictly a mental prowess, while a sport involves a finite competition involving some athletic skill.

Baseball and golf are certainly sports, you’re competing against one another based upon specific physical skills. Being relatively non-violent does not relegate them to being ‘games’, that’s ridiculous. Baseball has pretty much all the same characteristics as football but without the contact and time constraints.[/quote]

I’m on the edge about baseball, leaning towards it not being a sport. I think golf is definitely not a sport.

Exhibit A: Old, fat Kurt Schilling is one of the best baseball players.

Exhibit B: Disgusting, fat, old, John Daly is one of the best golfers.

If those guys can exert such little physical prowess, then I don’t understand how their games can be considered “sports.”

Also, I’m not going by the books on the definition of a sport, it’s all IMHO.

So were saying that Chess and other games that require immense metal skill is not a sport? Some games take a lot of FAST reflexes that are acquired through training, also many games involve lots of mental strategy.

I think its a mental sport-not physical like obvious sports- it requires mental ability, and there is plenty of competition so its not a solitary activity.

The brain is a muscle too =]

First off, I had the opportunity to play in this league for CounterStrike Soruce,(couldn’t play though, had to go to a thing calld College) it’s not called the MGL or at least I haven’t heard of that, what I have heard of is the Championship Gaming Series, which is actually airing on DirectTV, and they are paid quite well.

www.thecgs.com is the website

Now, I believe Halo is played One on One, but I’m not positive, as I don’t follow it. Counterstrike is Five on Five.

Are they sports? Not in the conventional sense, but in my opinion yes, they are sports in a more liberal sense, and so is Poker, which I take very seriously as well.

Tennis takes skill, not necessarily a great athlete, although it takes a certain amount of athleticism and endurance, it isn’t normally the deciding factor in a match.

Just my 2cents, but if people call Tennis and Golf a sport, I would call Counterstrike a sport, simply because it takes alot out of you mentally and physically believe it or not, more so than a day of Golf, which I’ve played.

[quote]A-Dizz wrote:
SinisterMinister wrote:
Not a sport. It involves strictly a mental prowess, while a sport involves a finite competition involving some athletic skill.

Baseball and golf are certainly sports, you’re competing against one another based upon specific physical skills. Being relatively non-violent does not relegate them to being ‘games’, that’s ridiculous. Baseball has pretty much all the same characteristics as football but without the contact and time constraints.

I’m on the edge about baseball, leaning towards it not being a sport. I think golf is definitely not a sport.

Exhibit A: Old, fat Kurt Schilling is one of the best baseball players.

If those guys can exert such little physical prowess, then I don’t understand how their games can be considered “sports.”
[/quote]

IMO, I believe that the majority of pitchers should be considered separate when judging baseball. Some people are just blessed with the coordination and “pitching-specific” power to be in the elite without being otherwise athletic. You’ll have a lot of athletic pitchers and those who have to bust their ass to get stronger and better, but guys like Schilling have natural ability and a good CNS. The other players on the team need power and speed to take their skills to the next level…

It takes quite a bit of endurance at a high level, and a pretty high level of foot speed/quickness/change of direction. Also, returning a 120+ serve(not just contacting it with your racket) is among the more difficult things in sports, reaction time and coordination to the max. Those aren’t measures of athleticism? Sorry Roger Federer may not run a 4.4, but he is most definitely an athlete.

Halo in MLG is played 4v4 I believe, and were you inferring that you had a chance to play for a CGS team, or that you happened to play CS:S and know about it?

Gaming is Not a sport, and this is from someone that does play competitively. It’s an entertaining hobby, but that’s about it.

Watch a doom speedrun or a high level Quake III match. Pro gaming is no sport, but it requires the innate abilities of the top .01% to do well, just as with a real sport. No amount of practice could turn an average player into Fatal1ty or Thresh.

Baseball not a sport? What are you on fucking acid?

Sport, n. an athletic activity requiring skill OR physical prowess and often of a competitive nature.

Baseball, easily falling under a sport.

Online gaming, doesn’t necessarily fall under that catergory because it refers to physical athletics. You don’t need to be athletic to play a video game; skilled, yes.

In someone’s opinion, an “activity” may be a sport or not a sport. By definition, you might be wrong. You cant just go around making up definitions of words.

Next time you go to work, say “what the fuck is up?” to your boss and than tell him that you didn’t think that fuck was an offensive word to use in public.

Pro gaming isn’t like poker, though. It DOES require a large degree of physical ability. Things like extreme focus, reaction time, and spacial organization aren’t purely skills, though they can be trained; they’re a result of how the brain is wired. Though it’s not physical enough to be called a sport, pro gaming requires more raw natural talent (what I would consider everything that is basically untrainable) than poker or chess.

I’m unable to study intensely for more than about 2 hours. It has nothing to do with willpower; it’s how well the brain can handle stress. Pro gamers definitely have more of this ability than the average person. Millions of South Koreans want to live the life of a pro gamer Starcraft god, but few have what it takes to do it.

It’s mostly semantics, anyway. I don’t consider, say, a horseback rider to be a sportsman, but what he does definitely requires skill.

http://www.gotfrag.com/css/story/37468/

Of course, there is legal precedent in America classifying competitive gaming as a sport, so take that for whatever its worth.

“A sport is something that fat people can’t play”

[quote]Higher Game wrote:
Watch a doom speedrun or a high level Quake III match. Pro gaming is no sport, but it requires the innate abilities of the top .01% to do well, just as with a real sport. No amount of practice could turn an average player into Fatal1ty or Thresh.[/quote]

Eh I dunno, Fatal1ty is famous for getting where he is BECAUSE of the obscene amount of time/practice he put into it, not so much because he picked up quake3 and was freakishly good at it. I suppose it depends on what you actually consider the average player, maybe all my time playing games has skewed where I think the curve falls.

On a completely side note, I find that being a fairly competitive gamer myself, the top level are actually some of the more normal, less stereotypical nerds than other parts of the gaming populus. Obviously it’s far from 100%, but it’s far from the 0% people would have you believe as well.

[quote]Higher Game wrote:
Pro gaming isn’t like poker, though. It DOES require a large degree of physical ability. Things like extreme focus, reaction time, and spacial organization aren’t purely skills, though they can be trained; they’re a result of how the brain is wired. Though it’s not physical enough to be called a sport, pro gaming requires more raw natural talent (what I would consider everything that is basically untrainable) than poker or chess.
[/quote]

You can’t just become a pro chess player with lots of time, takes a certain type of genius to become that good. Its much more advanced then any pro gaming now is. Watch a blitz match of pro chess players and you will see the crazy reaction time they have also.

Definitely not more natural talent then pro chess players, I have many friends-all of us pretty heavy gamers- and none of us have actually gone pro-besides one- and we all were able to be better then average with just bit of playing. -games include cs,UT, starcaft, and wow arena.-

If you have good reflexes-which many people do- you can become a pro gamer with good amount of time put into it.

Sport? No.
Skill. Sure.

It takes practice, but anything you can do sitting down doesn’t count as a sport in my book.

Except Olympic Sitting, that’s a helluva sport.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Sport? No.
Skill. Sure.

It takes practice, but anything you can do sitting down doesn’t count as a sport in my book.

Except Olympic Sitting, that’s a helluva sport. [/quote]

Why can’t things that require immense skill, which has good competition be considered a sport? Most traditional sports is just about the competetion and skill for the most part anyways. If you can watch this being played out I don’t see why it shouldn’t be a sport.

Its competetive and your using a powerful muscle-the brain-

Sport for me basically is something that requires skill and is competetive. If it has this then most likely its fun to watch also.

if you can play it while being obese, it is not a sport.

–JB

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
if you can play it while being obese, it is not a sport.

–JB[/quote]

That eliminates just about everything other than gymnastics.