MS Office 2007 (Vista)

It all depends on morality, i do think that stealing is wrong, but what is stealing really? I do not seeing not paying for something that has been placed on the internet for me to take as stealing. Think about it, I did not go into a best buy and jack a copy of this, instead, I found a site that did all the work whether it be someone who has a pirated copy, created a keygen to get serial codes, or whatever.

I did not do any of the work to steal the product, I simply clicked a button that someone else provided me with. That person provided me with a free service and a free product, they stole it and offered to give it up for free. Should i burn it to a cd and bring it back to ms headquarters with a note saying this was stolen and i am returning it because i am sowwy and feel bad?

Let me ask you all this- how many of you would pay to be a member of T-Nation? Aren’t we all here really because the articles and forum are free?

[quote]Jacked Diesel wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
You know I have a hard time picking a side here. Every single piece of software on my computer is a pirated version, even the OS. But I still think it’s wrong to steal it. I guess I’m a hypocrite.

Regardless- to the idiot who said “keep justifying it until you get caught”… I had to laugh at that. There are more 10X as many people in the US downloading illegal software right now than there are spots in prison or lawyers to try cases. If you really think there is even a remote chance of getting caught you’re more naive than you think.

this entire thing was hilarious

[/quote]

Yes, yes it was! And you’re the star of the show!

[quote]Jacked Diesel wrote:
It all depends on morality, i do think that stealing is wrong, but what is stealing really? I do not seeing not paying for something that has been placed on the internet for me to take as stealing. Think about it, I did not go into a best buy and jack a copy of this, instead, I found a site that did all the work whether it be someone who has a pirated copy, created a keygen to get serial codes, or whatever.

I did not do any of the work to steal the product, I simply clicked a button that someone else provided me with. That person provided me with a free service and a free product, they stole it and offered to give it up for free. Should i burn it to a cd and bring it back to ms headquarters with a note saying this was stolen and i am returning it because i am sowwy and feel bad? [/quote]

Please tell me that you are NOT planning on growing up to be an attorney?

You might have to attend law school twice…

[quote]Jacked Diesel wrote:
tveddy wrote:
sbarco66 wrote:
Didn’t Columbus and other Spanish explorers take what didnt belong to them?

Yeah so stealing/getting free stuff online like music or software isnt killing anyone, its just not making people richer. This reminds me of an epsiode of Even Stephen from the Daily Show

Im with Jacked Diesel

I make no distinction between killin people and stealing. Or speeding for that matter. They are all illegal.

If you’re going to use that ridiculous logic, then you probably also follow these laws as well, right?

In Georgia, it is illegal to say “Oh, Boy” In Jonesboro

In the state of Alabama it is illegal to play dominoes on sunday.

And for your own state, Illinois:

It is illegal to spit or fly a kite within the city limits of chicago.

“Dwarf-tossing,” the strange practice of hurling dwarfs in padded suits, is outlawed in the bars of Springfield, Ill., because it’s dangerous and exploitative. The practice is apparently allowed elsewhere in town, with a special permit.

Champaign: One may not pee in his neighbor’s mouth.

It is illegal to speak English. The officially recognized language is “American”.

A state law in Illinois mandates that all bachelors should be called master, not mister, when addressed by their female counterparts.

Fairfield: It is unlawful for “Negroes” to be within county boundaries from sundown to sunrise.

Illegal is illegal, what a great mentality. [/quote]

I never said that I had a problem with illegal…

naw man I was just pokin the coals.

Just wow… I mean really. You dont see not paying for something as stealing? You choose to use illegal software, which you did do work to get. You may not have been the one to actually make it available for download(that might require actually…buying it first), but you actively went on the net and got it. Its no different than if someone had a box outside of bestbuy saying “I stole this, do you want it for free?” and then taking it.

Its very simple, you are using a product that is not meant to be used for free. End of story.

What do you do for a living? Someone has to pay for whatever it is that you do, and if they didnt you wouldnt have a job, plain and simple. That is exactly what you are doing.

I sincerely hope you are kidding or just trying to make some ridiculous argument for the sake of it, because if not you truly have some incredible thinking going on.

eengrms - T-Nation operates under the premise of giving away free information in hopes you will buy their products to support the site. They fully allow the visitors to the site to view all of the material at no obligation, there is no comparison to using stolen software there. The comparison is more like using the microsoft website itself, which is free to look at it in hopes you will buy their products.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Let me ask you all this- how many of you would pay to be a member of T-Nation? Aren’t we all here really because the articles and forum are free?[/quote]

I would gladly pay.

I pirate software all the time, most of what I have is illegal but for personal use & research only.

As soon as a piece of software makes me money, I figure it’s a good enough tool to pay for, and I do. The same goes for my music and movies, if you are good enough I will buy your work.

Want some…get some…bad enough…take some!!

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
eengrms - T-Nation operates under the premise of giving away free information in hopes you will buy their products to support the site. They fully allow the visitors to the site to view all of the material at no obligation, there is no comparison to using stolen software there. The comparison is more like using the microsoft website itself, which is free to look at it in hopes you will buy their products.

[/quote]

I see your point, I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of choosing to visit a site that had free information vs. one that isn’t free, even though the information is the same. It’s similar to using free software vs. paying for it, negating the legality of using it for free of course. Yes it was a bad example, since T-Nation is ok with being free, but the general premise is still the same.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Just wow… I mean really. You dont see not paying for something as stealing? You choose to use illegal software, which you did do work to get. You may not have been the one to actually make it available for download(that might require actually…buying it first), but you actively went on the net and got it. Its no different than if someone had a box outside of bestbuy saying “I stole this, do you want it for free?” and then taking it.

Its very simple, you are using a product that is not meant to be used for free. End of story.

What do you do for a living? Someone has to pay for whatever it is that you do, and if they didnt you wouldnt have a job, plain and simple. That is exactly what you are doing.

I sincerely hope you are kidding or just trying to make some ridiculous argument for the sake of it, because if not you truly have some incredible thinking going on.

[/quote]

Whatever you need to do to convince yourself that I am doing something immoral and wrong is fine. Your argument is flaccid at best and will not convince me to change anything.

I attend college, and a great college at that. I am head of security at a bar here, and in a year I will be going to law school to get my JD/MBA degree. WTF do you do for a living despite sitting online voicing your worthless opinion?

There is a big difference between working security at a bar and working for Microsoft. My bar isn’t worth billions, Microsoft is. Also, every company goes through shrink, including a bar. What do you think happens when a bartender gives liquor and beer away to customers for free?

That’s stealing because it is against the owners consent, but it still happens, and dont tell me for a second you would deny that “free” drink at a bar, asshole.

[quote]Jacked Diesel wrote:
Whatever you need to do to convince yourself that I am doing something immoral and wrong is fine. Your argument is flaccid at best and will not convince me to change anything.

I attend college, and a great college at that. I am head of security at a bar here, and in a year I will be going to law school to get my JD/MBA degree. WTF do you do for a living despite sitting online voicing your worthless opinion?

There is a big difference between working security at a bar and working for Microsoft. My bar isn’t worth billions, Microsoft is. Also, every company goes through shrink, including a bar. What do you think happens when a bartender gives liquor and beer away to customers for free?

That’s stealing because it is against the owners consent, but it still happens, and dont tell me for a second you would deny that “free” drink at a bar, asshole. [/quote]

Google reports results 461,000 hits when searched for “arrested for software piracy 2007” Yep, No one ever gets caught.

Also Windows never came bundled with MS Office, it came bundled with Word once, but not the full blown office suite.

So you think it is ok if you only steal from people who have allot of money? I’m not sure what point you are trying to make about the bar other then you steal from your employer too. It looks like a pattern is starting to develop here.

My argument, that taking something without paying for it, is flaccid at best? How do you hope to make it through law school if you cant understand that?

“Sure your honor, my client got the software for free, but he did so on the internet, and that is FUN! Plus, “software” doesnt even really exist, its not like you can steal the english language, which is all software really is if you think about it.”

The main difference between Microsoft and the bar that you work at is that Microsoft has sold more of their product. And the only reason Microsoft is worth billions is because people have paid for their product. If no one bought alcohol at your bar you would quickly be out of a job.

I dont understand you, you readily admit that getting a drink from the bartender for free is “stealing”, but somehow getting a free copy of Office is not? I see why the legal system is in shambles.

For the record - I really dont care that you stole the software, as I have stated before I have done the same. I’m simply trying to point out that you ARE stealing, and no amount of rationalization (microsoft is rich! Its on the internet! I didnt make it available for download!) doesnt change that fact.

[quote]Colin Wilson wrote:
Google reports results 461,000 hits when searched for “arrested for software piracy 2007” Yep, No one ever gets caught. [/quote]

Really? I think you’re full of shit. When I search for the phrase I only get 724 results, even taking out the 2007 making it a real sentence. Of course I’m not just searching for pages that have those words on them, because you know that would be stupid and pointless, I searched for the actual phrase.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Colin Wilson wrote:
Google reports results 461,000 hits when searched for “arrested for software piracy 2007” Yep, No one ever gets caught.

Really? I think you’re full of shit. When I search for the phrase I only get 724 results, even taking out the 2007 making it a real sentence. Of course I’m not just searching for pages that have those words on them, because you know that would be stupid and pointless, I searched for the actual phrase.[/quote]

Generally the RIAA looks for shit with invading privacy and then wants the person to pay for their lawyer cost.

Oh yea, to OP who said that software doesn’t exist, that it is just a bunch of 1 and 0’s. Try fucking programing your own software since it doesn’t exist. 1000x harder then you would think.

Dude, rationalise it all you want, attack the others all you want.

You’re a stealer, pure and simple.

Especially when there are free options out there.

I’m not judging. If that’s how you want to live your life then so be it.

But you’re stealing. Own your actions.

[quote]USNS physique wrote:
Everybody rationalizes every day in a dozen ways. No one gets hurt when a kid gets a serial number to MS office 2007? NOBODY. Is he supposed to pay $600 to use the shit once or twice? Get real.
[/quote]

If you think a uni student is going to use MS Office once or twice…

Well. It’s obvious you aren’t university material with that kind of thinking.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Colin Wilson wrote:
Google reports results 461,000 hits when searched for “arrested for software piracy 2007” Yep, No one ever gets caught.

Really? I think you’re full of shit. When I search for the phrase I only get 724 results, even taking out the 2007 making it a real sentence. Of course I’m not just searching for pages that have those words on them, because you know that would be stupid and pointless, I searched for the actual phrase.[/quote]

Results 1 - 10 of about 452,000 for arrested for software piracy 2007. (0.16 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 724 for “arrested for software piracy”. (0.12 seconds)

[quote]Sxio wrote:
You’re a stealer, pure and simple.
[/quote]

I believe the correct term is thief. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Jacked Diesel wrote:
WTF do you do for a living despite sitting online voicing your worthless opinion?[/quote]

Personally, I get paid to write that ridiculous stuff that doesn’t exist, you know, “software.”

Please don’t tell my boss, I have kids to feed.

[quote]pookie wrote:

Personally, I get paid to write that ridiculous stuff that doesn’t exist, you know, “software.”

Please don’t tell my boss, I have kids to feed.

[/quote]

Oh pookie…that stuff you “do”…doesn’t exist! didn’t you know that!?

Using the logic I’ve been reading here…

If “what pookie does” then
pookie exists
else
pookie doesn’t exist
end if

Since we already KNOW what you do “doesn’t exist” I’m pretty sure it’s safe to say…you don’t exist either! :slight_smile:

and if you don’t exist…who am I reply to???