Maintenance Calories-Bulk, Cut or Maintain?

I was just trying to get a handle on if the deficit that my training is putting me in is the deficit I look at or if the calories eaten above or below my maintenance is where I determine if it’s a surplus or deficit.

All, this is what I see. I take this as I’m in a calorie deficit.

You aren’t gaining or losing weight…

Does that sound like bulking, maintaining, or cutting?

Base your progress on the [result], not the [input].

Edited as i think @EmilyQ was right. More words is not helping you, OP.

2 Likes

Yes, exercise helps burn more calories and can create a higher maintainance required/larger deficit.

The picture would suggest you are in a 630 calorie deficit. BUT just taking that you burned 1001 calories through exercise as gospel, or that 2920 is your 100% accurate goal for maintainance would be naive. This is why you need to track your weight and adjust based on your goal.

1 Like

I would genuinely like to know what it was about my post you did not understand.

I was a professional educator at one point. My job was to get students to understand new concepts. I took pride in that job, and felt like I performed well.

I have been writing a blog for nearly 12 years now. 1000 words a week, minimum, once a week. I’ve never missed a week. I do a lot of writing.

I really pride myself on my ability to communicate. It appears, here, I have failed.

Will you please let me know where there is confusion, so that I may become a better communicator?

3 Likes

Sorry @T3hPwnisher I completely understand yours! You did a great job in all honesty. I was just explaining to @EmilyQ

I apparently suck at explaining :slight_smile:

I was referring to the post you addressed to “all”, rather than the one to Emily.

I think that was an explanation to me that he broadened to include all the rest of you, too.

I’m stunned as to my own failure to explain even more simply than I thought anyone else had, since I came in pretty late. I am currently employed as - in part - a 'splainer. I thought I’d hit the “don’t explain too much” sweet spot. I thought @Andrewgen_Receptors did also just above with two good sentences, but then he edited in more 'splaining, unfortunately.

2 Likes

I’d recommend getting a body scan or a smart scale. I have the Withings scale- not a perfect solution but- to an extent it provides a breakdown of water weight, fat, muscle mass and more.

none of the information it provides outside of your bw is meaningful or accurate.

3 Likes

adding the exercise calories back into your daily calorie goal is a setting. turn it off.

5 Likes

For the win! This is the simple button

2 Likes

You have to be a premium member to turn it off

1 Like

Ah. Just ignore it? It still gives you the calories version either way right?

2 Likes

This thread is making my head hurt.

Itd be like someone trying to get from Chicago to New York and several people give them driving directions only for them to keep asking “ok ok but what are the precise celestial coordinates of Chicago and NYC relative to the milky way?”

“Oh it’s impossible to know those exact figures. All you need to know is relative distance between the two cities on the globe.”

“Ok ok ok…buuuuut what are the celestial coordinates relative to the milky way…”

Guys, everyone is explaining everything well. Please don’t self doubt. OP is just stubbornly not willing to step outside his faulty schema. Your posts will still help many others who read this thread.

6 Likes

3 Likes

You can turn this feature off in MFP.
It also seems like you are having too much data with the apple watch.
Analysis paralysis!

3 Likes

Aw cmon, this is like telling a newly sober person “just have a few sips.”

In MyFitnessPal you can set your activity level (not active, little active, active, very active) which already takes into account activity. If you’re going to keep it connected to the garmin set activity to none so that calorie burning isn’t over estimated more than it is.

1 Like

This thread feels like like living with small rodents who are constantly nibbling on things.