Greatest 3 Stretch of Albums

[quote]tom8658 wrote:
Tool

1. Aenima
  2. Lateralus
  3. 10000 Days

Sorry, Sixx, I just think 10000 Days is so much better than Undertow.

[/quote]

I can definitely see that. As far as the actual musical talent of 10,000 Days it blows Undertow out of the water. I think that the raw emotion caught on Undertow is unbeatable though.

I think the OP meant three albums in a row, not just any three albums.

Atmosphere

1. Lucy Ford
  2. God Loves Ugly
  3. Seven’s Travels

Ice Cube
1.AmeriKKKa’s Most Wanted
2.Death Certificate
3.The Predator

Marvin Gaye

1. Whats Going On
  2. Lets Get It On
  3. I Want You

[quote]doogie wrote:
SinisterMinister wrote:
Here are a few that come immediately to mind…

Willie Nelson

• Red Headed Stranger
  • Phases and Stages
  • Shotgun Willie
  • Yesterday’s Wine

No one can make a coherent argument against this.[/quote]

This is clearly not a stretch of 3 albums since you’ve listed 4. Is this a coherent argument for this not being a great 3 album stretch?

Pantera

Cowboys from Hell
Vulgar Display of Power
Far Beyond Driven

Slayer

Reign in Blood
South of Heaven
Seasons in the Abyss

Cryptopsy

Blasphemy Made Flesh
None So Vile
Whisper Supremecy

Opeth

Still Life
Blackwater Park
Deliverance

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
Pantera= vulgar display of power, Far beyond driven, Great southern Trendkill

Slayer= Reigning Blood, South of Heaven, Seasons in the Abyss[/quote]

Didnt realize you beat me to the punch there, was wondering why those weren’t listed

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
Pantera= [/quote] Cowboys from hell [quote]vulgar display of power, Far beyond driven, Great southern Trendkill

Slayer= Reigning Blood, South of Heaven, Seasons in the Abyss[/quote]

Prince -
Sign of the Times
Lovesexy
The Black Album

Miles Davis 60s Quintet-
ESP
Miles Smiles
Sorcerer
Nefertiti
(that’s four, but can’t really leave one out)

Miles Davis 50s Quintet-
Cookin’
Relaxin’
Workin’
Steamin’
(that’s four again, but I think all of the material on these four albums were recorded during the same two days)

John Coltrane-
Live at Birdland
Crescent
A Love Supreme

The Jimi Hendrix Experience-
Are You Experienced?
Axis Bold as Love
Electric Ladyland

Led Zeppelin-
1, 2 and 3

[quote]Geebus wrote:
Physical Graffiti is definitely worthy of making it a 6 great album run by Led Zeppelin.[/quote]

Mate that’s my favourite zep album. It’s the album where they have truly perfected their craft. I thought it was the 5th album?

[quote]younggully wrote:
Cypress Hill

1991: Cypress Hill (2x Platinum)[5]
1993: Black Sunday (3x Platinum)[6]
1995: III: Temples of Boom (Platinum)[7]

End Thread/[/quote]

The first 2 albums were awesome however temple of boom was a real letdown IMO.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
I think the OP meant three albums in a row, not just any three albums.[/quote]

This

[quote]BigSeen wrote:
Ice Cube
2.Death Certificate
3.The Predator[/quote]

Death Certificate is my fave Ice Cube album yo. Such a shame to think that he could go from this to kiddie flicks like Are We There Yet?. No one could beat Ice Cube with regards to flow and killing a beat back in the early 90s.

[quote]Jack Urboady wrote:
Geebus wrote:
Physical Graffiti is definitely worthy of making it a 6 great album run by Led Zeppelin.

Mate that’s my favourite zep album. It’s the album where they have truly perfected their craft. I thought it was the 5th album?

younggully wrote:
Cypress Hill

End Thread/

WhiteFlash wrote:

This

BigSeen wrote:
Ice Cube
2.Death Certificate
3.The Predator

Death Certificate is my fave Ice Cube album yo. Such a shame to think that he could go from this to kiddie flicks like Are We There Yet?. No one could beat Ice Cube with regards to flow and killing a beat back in the early 90s.[/quote]

Houses of the Holy is between the Led Zeppelin I-IV and Physical Graffiti.

[quote]artw wrote:
doogie wrote:
SinisterMinister wrote:
Here are a few that come immediately to mind…

Willie Nelson

• Red Headed Stranger
  • Phases and Stages
  • Shotgun Willie
  • Yesterday’s Wine

No one can make a coherent argument against this.

This is clearly not a stretch of 3 albums since you’ve listed 4. Is this a coherent argument for this not being a great 3 album stretch?[/quote]

I suppose it is. I just couldn’t get myself to choose dropping either Red Headed Stranger or Yesterday’s Wine since they’re both GREAT. So I left them.

BTW, whoever listed Kyuss, great call on a great band.

Some off the top of my head:

Led Zeppelin
-Led Zeppelin II
-Led Zeppelin III
-Led Zeppelin IV

The Rolling Stones
-Beggars Banquet
-Let It Bleed
-Sticky Fingers
-Exile On Main St. (You can take this or Beggars Banquet off to get 3 straight)

The Rolling Stones (this is the British order of releases)
-Out of Our Heads
-Aftermath
-Between The Buttons

The Verve
-A Storm In Heaven
-A Northern Soul
-Urban Hymns

The Beatles
-Help!
-Rubber Soul
-Revolver

Oasis
-Definitely Maybe
-(What’s the Story) Morning Glory
-Be Here Now

The Beastie Boys
-Licensed To Ill
-Paul’s Boutique
-Check Your Head

Kanye West
-The College Dropout
-Late Registration
-Graduation

Side-notes: Good on the guys who mentioned Neil Young, Bob Dylan and A Tribe Called Quest.

It’s amazing how many GREAT artists haven’t got 3 straight classics. Biggie Smalls, The New York Dolls, The Libertines, all got stuck at two. Consistency is hard even for a lot of the greats.

[quote]Geebus wrote:
Jack Urboady wrote:
Geebus wrote:
Physical Graffiti is definitely worthy of making it a 6 great album run by Led Zeppelin.

younggully wrote:
Cypress Hill

End Thread/

WhiteFlash wrote:

This

BigSeen wrote:
Ice Cube
2.Death Certificate
3.The Predator

Death Certificate is my fave Ice Cube album yo. Such a shame to think that he could go from this to kiddie flicks like Are We There Yet?. No one could beat Ice Cube with regards to flow and killing a beat back in the early 90s.

Houses of the Holy is between the Led Zeppelin I-IV and Physical Graffiti.[/quote]

While I like Houses, it was released between two monster albums and doesn’t quite live up to them.

Too bad Led Zeppelin II wasn’t released between the untitled album and Graffiti. That would easily be the best three albums in a row. Much better than any overrated Beatles albums.

[quote]TJN713 wrote:
The Beatles:

Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band

/thread[/quote]

Sorry, but the Beatles rarely ever lived up to the hype that surrounded them.

Those are three good albums though.

[quote]Dustin wrote:
TJN713 wrote:
The Beatles:

Rubber Soul
Revolver

/thread

Those are three good albums though.[/quote]

I am not personally a huge Beatles fan, but to say they failed to live up to their hype is incorrect. Culturally and musically no band made more of an impact.

[quote]Dustin wrote:
TJN713 wrote:
The Beatles:

Rubber Soul
Revolver

/thread

Those are three good albums though.[/quote]

No, they did live up to the hype. They were masters of the pop song, and it’s be hard to find anyone from the rock n roll era to do it as well as them. It’d just that when your hyped up to be geniuses for that ability, people expect more than just great pop songs and then they’re disappointed.

But I will say I wasn’t as big a fan of Sgt. Peppers and the albums after as I was of their previous output. If their earliest albums didn’t have songs that weren’t as strong as the hits, they’d have like 5-7 straight great albums IMO.

[quote]Dustin wrote:

While I like Houses, it was released between two monster albums and doesn’t quite live up to them.
[/quote]

Physical Graffiti would’ve been an amazing (double) album and one of the greatest albums ever IMO, except on some of the tracks you can hear Robert Plants voice isn’t as good as before. From what I’ve read they recorded their albums pretty quickly compared to other artists, and for that album in particular the recording period was split in two, so that might have had something to do with it.

[quote]TJN713 wrote:
Dustin wrote:
TJN713 wrote:
The Beatles:

Rubber Soul
Revolver

/thread

I am not personally a huge Beatles fan, but to say they failed to live up to their hype is incorrect. Culturally and musically no band made more of an impact.[/quote]

They were media darlings that happened to be in the right place at the right time.

It’s just like now, with that silly Beatles Rock Band game. Everyone is a Beatles fan all of a sudden.

And musically, I can think of several bands that were superior.

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:
Dustin wrote:

Physical Graffiti would’ve been an amazing (double) album and one of the greatest albums ever IMO, except on some of the tracks you can hear Robert Plants voice isn’t as good as before. From what I’ve read they recorded their albums pretty quickly compared to other artists, and for that album in particular the recording period was split in two, so that might have had something to do with it. [/quote]

Plant did say in an interview that the album was recorded in different segments. They would record material, then just decide to take a break, which, as you said, was different than what they normally did.

Robert Plant’s voice began to really drop off around that time period. Some say even before that. You can tell a significant difference between live footage from 1973 and 1975.

While I do love Graffiti, there is a song or two on it that I would consider “filler”.

[quote]Dustin wrote:
TJN713 wrote:
Dustin wrote:
TJN713 wrote:
The Beatles:

Rubber Soul
Revolver

/thread

I am not personally a huge Beatles fan, but to say they failed to live up to their hype is incorrect. Culturally and musically no band made more of an impact.

They were media darlings that happened to be in the right place at the right time.

It’s just like now, with that silly Beatles Rock Band game. Everyone is a Beatles fan all of a sudden.

And musically, I can think of several bands that were superior. [/quote]

You’ve gotta at least explain why you don’t like the artist. I don’t mean to offend you, but it ruins music discussions when you say something like “they were overhyped” just the way it does when someone plays the “music industry is evil” card or “people are too dumb to get real music” excuse.

Edit: Well, your next post sort’ve got better.