dogs

Is the rescue organiztions you work for/or orwn located on the web, I am planning on getting a dog in the furture and amstaff/ampit terrier is the way I am going. Iknow of a couple in Ontario, but which are you with. I am in Nova Scotia so maybe you could refer me to someone out my way. I check the local SPCA but have not been coming up with too much luck.

Hi darko. My wife and I are a small operation and currently don’t have any available dogs. We basically work with the local humane society and take in pitties from them or from people who know of us and bring us strays. While we retrain them and test there temperments, the Humane society looks for homes and has prospective adopters come to our house so we can evaluate them. I don’t believe there are any pittie rescues out on the east coast of Canada. The best web site to check out is www.pbrc.net/home.html They are a virtual on line rescue that lists pitbulls for rescue all throughout North America. You might have the best luck looking at adoptable pitties on the east coast of the U.S They will be listed at the above site. This sight is also an excellent resource for info. about the breed. I don’t want to preach, but do the homework. They are a different dog than any other breed and need special considerations. Having said that, once you have one you will never have another breed. Pitties do everything at 110% including loving their people. Also, I would highly reccomend you read “This is the American Pit Bull Terrier” by Richard Stratton. This book will truly help you to understand what these dogs are about. You can order it through Chapters. I want to tell you it’s a must before getting a pittie, but again I don’t want to come across as too preachy. It’s just many well intentioned people aquire pitties and then realize they are not up for the challenge. They are highly intelligent energetic dogs that need lots of mental stimulation and physical activity. Another thing I tell people, no matter how strong willed you think you are a pittie has a stronger will. That is why only positive reinforcement training protocols are acceptable for this breed. Good luck in your quest for the ultimate dog, please let me know how you make out. If you have anymore questions don’t hesitate to ask.