Come So Far, Not Stopping

100%, you’d get more out of KB’s. Having said that I do get quite a bit of use from my bike. You could always start with just a 16kg bell to get used to some of the movements and then buy further as you get more acclimatised.

1 Like

Cheers, I will sort something out.

Right now my only planned cardio outside of walking is 10mins on the bike at the end of my Upper sessions. I’m just slowly improving on how far I go in that amount of time. Added 0.5m the past month or so but not sure if it’s a good plan long-term and will explore other things (like the kettlebell).

Finally back to 60kg x 5 on the seated press. Got 8 reps before the 4months out so super close to where I was.

DB Bench because of the bicep strain I lowered the weights and thought i’d run with 3x15 for a bit. Managed to up the weight and keep the 15 reps for 2-3 weeks now. Really surprised considering each jump is 4kg (2kg each DB). Only got 15, 15, 14ish today so it’s started to slow, but definitely shows how some time in vastly different rep range can reap some quick benefits. Will be interesting to see how it goes when I taper back down to 8-10. I’m back in the 10-12 range with back movements now and the short stint in the 15-20 rep range allowed me to keep progressing in the lower rep range. Mentally it was a nice change up to be honest. Injuries can be fun, who knew?

1 Like

Was chasing calories last night, had takeaway half-pounder with cheese, chips and mushy peas. No idea on the calorie count and because I’m usually so meticulous I’m properly overthinking it. Long-term makes no difference but I had such a great session yesterday I’m all uppity of if I underate.

2 Likes

Continuing to be able to add 2.5kg to my squat twice a week on 3x12s. Still a poverty weight but I feel safe going into every session. If anything the weight is feeling a little lighter each week which is awesome.

RDL
140kg x 8
140kg x 8
And a little backoff set 102.5kg x 12

So happy to be back doing 3 plates on RDLs.

3 Likes

The pain behind armpit is back today after lat pulldowns. I’ve been staying in the 15 rep range and tried going back into the 12s yesterday. At the end range of movement I feel it stretch and have to go slow and careful. It’s difficult midset to standardize my form because I want to get the reps out so sometimes cut an inch or two off for fear if it going again.

It’s been feeling fine on horizontal rows, and I hope it does tomorrow. So frustrating. I guess it’s just because it was a tendon/ligament so just slow to heal. It’s no bother really because I can continue to hammer high reps. Just annoying.

1 Like

What is a good number to RDL? I bet bench, squat, OHP and traditional deadlift numbers but whats a good RDL number compared to a poor one vs an average one?

Is 3 plates a side a good RDL target (for reps not a single), or should be aiming to get to 4 plates per side?

“Good” as you know will always be subjective and personal. I feel strength standards aren’t very accurate, but if we go off of the 1 plate OHP, 2 plate bench, 3 plate squat, 4 plate deadlift. Then a 3 plate RDL is right up there, especially when talking for reps.

Going off of data we have available, the average RDL is 21% lower than a conventional deadlift (from strengthlevel strength standards). My 140kg x 8 has a predicted max of 173kg. Add ~20% and that could convert to a 207kgish conventional - comfortably over the 4 plates (180kg) deadlift “strength standard” that may or may not really mean anything.

They are of course different movements, so this is purely speculation and may not hold a ton of value, but I would say it’s a pretty good indicator to answer your question. Yes it is a good target.

There are also tables here for you to compare yourself against people with similar stats to you.

2 Likes

That’s a good site. I sit above intermediate but not at advanced on most lifts I’ve been training which is good to read (apart from the squat but i’m building that back up slowly).

I’m also poor on a lot of the body weight exercises but then i don’t train them and if i do them its usually at the end of a workout so i never really get to try them when i’m not fatigued.

1 Like

Got a funeral to go to today and it’s a bank holiday so having a few extra days off. Really pushed myself this morning, entire upper body aching.

It didn’t help that I asked someone to spot me on the bench and I hung there for about 5-6 seconds with the bar slowly going down and him absolutely oblivious before finally helping out (one handed). Not ideal when you’ve spent ages rehabbing injuries. I’m okay I think, just definitely pushed it too hard. Gonna go back to the top set and back-offs. I go too close to failure for straight sets and then struggle to stay disciplined in terms of keeping the same weight. If I want 6, 6, 6 and get it on the first set I’m always “fuck it, add weight and get 5 on the next one”. It’s worked for me but my form will slip in an effort to get the weight up. Top set and two back-offs keeps me honest and I’m not bothered so much as long as at least one set progresses. Straight sets I try to progress them all together which can grind on me a bit.

1 Like

As a clueless American, is this a common takeaway/fast food option over there across the pond?

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s very common to have with fish and chips. And a good way to convince yourself your eating something at least a little healthy, despite everything else on the plate being deep-fried in cheap fat.

2 Likes

Just starting to feel a little normal again. The celebration of life/funeral was just as busy and drink-fuelled as I thought it would be. Barely managed to eat anything yesterday, and have been well below protein goals the past 48hours.

My upper back/below my neck is proper stiff and painful because of that rubbish bench spotter. Even my lat I spent ages rehabbing feels off. Hopefully my overall fragile state is making it seem worse than it actually is. Won’t know until I get back in the gym tomorrow. I’m struggling to look down because it’s so stiff below my neck v_v

Funnily enough, it was fine when I was 12 pints deep. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Lol. I’m convinced that this is the same reason people started putting lettuce, tomato and onions on burgers.

1 Like

All we do then is pair it all with a nice strong high percent apple cider and we’ve hit our 5 a day. Health is THAT easy. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Slept 11-12 hours the last two nights. Only just starting to feel myself again. So glad I haven’t got any big events coming up now for a long time!

Was gonna hit the gym this morning but overslept quite a bit. Under my neck still feels stiff and in a lot of pain. It reminds me of when I’d have shit deadlift form and how the lower back would feel after for a few days. There were times I’d walk like a duck it was so stiff! Those things always made a miraculous recovery so I’m expecting the same here. I don’t really mind having a 3rd day off. I’d rather go back feeling closer to my best than do a half assed workout.

I’m off to see a Gary Linekar tomorrow and hoping I’ll have time for a quick full upper workout in the morning then back to a normal routine.

1 Like

In my region of the UK you can find orange chips in a few of the fish and chip shops which are battered chips. Heart attack food but they are amazing

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve seen that about before. My local doesn’t do them on the menu but I’m sure if I asked they’d gladly fill out the order. I mean, they already do battered beef burgers, battered pineapple and battered mars bar…

1 Like

First day back in the gym since last Saturday. Wasn’t sure what to expect, all I did know is I didn’t fancy starting with legs.

Managed to get a +1 on my main movement of the day (Seated OHP). But I have switched to two back-off sets. 10% off top set, and then another 10% off. I always loved this style of training and kinda knew i’d go back to it. When climbing back up from a layoff straight sets seemed more practical, but now I’m so close to my old numbers on so many exercises, i’ll be back to this style of training on some (not all) movements.

I had 20mins left in the gym, old me would have smashed some isolations. Probably some lat raises and cable flies. I did some cardio instead though. My ethos is so far away from bothering with those small movements right now. Just 'cause a whole bunch of experienced guys say “My side delts didn’t grow until I started spamming lateral raises” doesn’t mean I believe it’s true for me. I don’t think most people are at a high enough level with their vertical presses to make it even worth worrying about. Maybe it’s my genetics, maybe it’s my form - lat raises were always nothing but something that could irritate me, progress extremely slowly and not seem give back anything other than a cool pump. I’m way more interested in saving all my shoulder energy and recovery into really hitting the presses hard, using an isolation slot for rear delts or focusing on something that I actually struggle to develop seems more beneficial for me.

3 Likes

Well that was a beast of session in the close to unbearable heat. Was in there over 2 hours. My digestion was extremely off this morning leaving me feeling foggy all over. I definitely talked a bit too much though, and used the heat as an excuse to rest a little longer.

Intensity was HIGH. I don’t know why I do it to myself sometimes. Squats sets of 12s now slowing down, 142.5kg x 6 for a couple sets on RDLs, and a back-off 12 reps with a much lighter weight. Hit every set of every accessory right up close to failure too. I just can’t regulate myself to leave anything in the tank on days like this (or, well… any day really).

Despite this, the session felt a bit forlorn. A young lad from the gym who would always be there the same time as me, very talkative, the kind of person who always greets you with a smile and asks how you’re doing. Weeks down the line he would bring up a snippet you said about your life asking for a follow up which showed he had a genuine interest and a heart of gold. Anyway, he was ran over involved in a hit and run by an elderly peson a couple of nights ago. Dead on the scene. Just 20 years of age. Absolutely awful.

4 Likes