Wisey's Training Log - Strong for no reason

This is a lot of pushups for a bloke of 6’1, 235lbs. :joy:.

157 today. Was easy…but I’m feeling them now. 174 and 180 respectively over the next two days. Needless to say, I’ve not bothered benching this week :joy:.

A Fast pace walk right after lunch today for 20 minutes to helo clear the now semi-blocked nose. Worked a treat.

Then this Arvo…

Low bar squat:

20x5
60x1
60x1
60x1
80x1
80x1
100x1
100x1
100x1

Low Bar Paused:

95x1
95x1

Bench:

20x5
60x5
80x3

100x2
100x2
100x2
100x2
100x2

Larsen Press:

95x3
95x3
95x3

Notes:

• Yes, those are squats. Seldom seen around these parts, they couldn’t help but stick their nose for a spell. They felt ok! Knees were good. These were barefeet also. I actually tried a heap of empty bar low bar squats last night also in heeled shoes, but yeah nah they won’t ever be coming back. A good mate of mine is an Exercise Scientist, has been looking over my squat videos of late. Today’s session was an experiment that has come from this. Wider stance, sitting back more, low bar, no shoes. Eh we’ll see where it goes, didn’t feel any pressure in my lower back this way either. So I mean it’s a positive start. Loads will be low for a spell as my tendons are not up for really anything else as yet naturally.

• Bench was Ok. I kept it light for obvious reasons. Very short and sharp warmup because, well, I always feel warmed up at the moment :joy:. Actually the empty bar felt Bizarre. Like it made no sense. 80kg it felt normal.

• The Larsen presses are a nice movement. I want some variety in this block, because all my recent benching hasn’t really been leading anywhere but south. A mix of both low frequency and low variation.

• I ditched my last block. It was meant to be a repeat of the previous block, but this headcold put an end to that. It didn’t prevent me training of course, but the intended intensity with a block like that is just silly at a time like this. So rather than try and just train it all light for a week or two, I’m just switching it all up to a high frequency setup with more volume but a lot lower intensity. Some of the workouts last block were taking a few days to get over.

• in terms of recovery, I’ve not let the diet or the walking slip the whole time. Plus I’ve been hitting the pushups (staying well away from hard set). Definitely feels like I’ve not been as sick this time, and it’s passing faster. I DID increase calories every second day or so to maintenance level (circa 2800 at this point), just to help me recovery. It’s meant I’m about 800gm behind in terms of weight lost, but that doesn’t matter much. Still in cruise mode there, feels effortless to be fair. About 6 weeks to go for this round. Might add a week or two to account for this last couple of weeks.

• Deadlifting tomorrow. Same approach as the bench I’m thinking. Few sets of sub max stuff, enough to feel it.

Fin.

3 Likes

I randomly have those days I think you’re describing with the bench. Sometimes the contrast happens and I walk in and the warmup with the bar feels like I’ve never benched before. Other times I’m just dialled in straight away and doing too much with any warmup step feels unnecessary. Maybe doing a few non-fatiguing pushups now and again on off days is the answer!

A guy that used to come to my gym would bench intermittently during all his workouts. Just do a few reps on the bar if it was free whilst he was resting from his main work, sometimes do a few reps of just 30-40kg. I saw him bench 160kg at probably around ~95kgish so there’s something to be said for a little bit of non-fatiguing frequency!

2 Likes

Greasing the groove my friend. It’s such a handy thing.

1 Like

106.2kg / 234.1lbs this morning. Lightest so far. BMR is up 200 calories over the past 30 days, so that’s helping. Pushups have increased it by on average 80 calories so far. That will creep a little more over the next week or two I’d say also, as the volume continues to increase from here.

Got a workout planned for later today along with a 2.5km walk. Then an 8km walk tomorrow (Saturday) morning with a mate - good for about 400 calories itself. We usually eat a bit more on average on the weekends, so it’s becoming a habit. Walked in the rain last week :joy:. Probably did me no favours…as my cold appeared that evening haha.

Time to work. Training in about 8 hours.

3 Likes

I had to read to three times to be sure. LOL

1 Like

Deadlift:

70x8
120x5
160x3

190x1
160x2
160x2
160x2

Paused deadlift:

150x2
150x2
150x2

Bench: why? :sob:

20x8
60x5
80x4

95x4
95x5
95x4
95x4
95x4

Spoto bench:

87.5x5
87.5x5
87.5x5

Notes:

• Dead.

• Core is trash from all the pushups. Completed those this morning as usual, 174 of them. Tomorrow is 180, thinking 18 sets of 10 to try and keep the intensity down. Too many 20+ sets today :joy:.

• Deadlifts felt Crazy limited by said fatigue in my core. Just no power anywhere. Wanted a 210-215kg single today. But nah.

• Bench was…I mean, look it was ok. First couple of work sets felt pretty fine. A little heavier than normal, fourth set onwards things started to get a bit weird. Felt like someone had added 20kg to the bar while I wasn’t watching.

• Spoto’s were ok…last set started to burn a lot.

• we’ve come this far, we ain’t stopping now. The pushups themselves are actually pretty fine. Started putting some extra things into them like lifting a knee to the elbow each rep on some sets etc. Typing that out, I realise that’s probably been partially to blame for the core fatigue :joy:. Fun though. Better be careful, they might turn into burpees! (They won’t).

Fin.

2 Likes

8km walk in the Am, with 180 pushups spread through the afternoon.

Decided that was enough for today. Cold still lingering, so a bit of downtime this afternoon/night will do me good I think.

Plan is to squat again tomorrow, with some overhead work also. Bit of DOM’s from those squats the other day, which wasn’t unexpected. I’ll go a little lighter, and continue with that focus on technical execution over load or volume for the moment.

Shit weather, but my Rugby League side got the W, so it’s been a great day overall.

Fin.

3 Likes

Squats!!:

20x5
60x2
60x2

80x4
80x4
80x4 - 176lbs

Paused Squats:

72.5x4
72.5x4
72.5x4 - 160lbs

Press:

20x10
20x8
40x5
40x20 (to see if I could, and I could). - 88.2lbs

DB Chest Supported row:

26x12
26x12
26x12 - 57.3lbs

Barbell Curl: 60 seconds strict rest.

21x10
26x10
31x10
36x10! Got the bugger. - 79.3lbs

Notes:

• this was really good. The squats fired me up, they felt so clean and more or less pain free. Some mind pain on two reps across the whole workout. One in each knee. A stability issue id say. It will improve. No pain afterwards either. Nothing.

• press was for blood into the shoulder joints. Worked. The 20 reps were interesting, don’t think I’d have gotten a 21st. :joy:.

• rows also for blood flow. very strict technique with a full stretch at the bottom and a full squeeze at the top.

• curls for the girls. :joy:. Still on with the progression scheme I chose a while ago. Consistent fixed rest time, with 4x10, progressing 1kg when the 10 reps are achieved on set 4. It’s quite fun. Tool a couple of goes to fill out this part of the progression, might need to drop back to 8’s next run and use a double progression again. Infact, I will do this.

• very good session overall. Very productive. The edges of my virus still hanging around reminding me it exists, so no big hard pushes or anything, just good solid sub-max work until it’s gone. Chomping at the bit again though, so full recovery must be just around the corner. Actually wondering if what it happening to me is an allergy rather than a virus…might have to have a chat with my doc.

More pushups tomorrow, today was a “rest day”. 128 tomorrow. Then 150, 172, 175, 195 and 200 before another rest day. Essential week 3/4. Pecs were actually full of DOM’s today, so it’s doing something.

Fin.

4 Likes

I guess you’d call this block im currently doing, a skill development block. Running it lighter than I normally would due to the pushups, and also due to squats being a novel exercise again. Case in point, DOM’s of a reasonably uncomfortable nature from said squats :joy:.

Deadlift:

70x8
70x5
120x5
120x1

160x4 - 352.7lbs
160x4
160x4

Deficit Deadlift:

150x4
150x4
150x4 - 330.7lbs

Bench:

20x12
20x8
60x6
80x4

102.5x2
102.5x2
102.5x2
102.5x2
102.5x2 - 226lbs

Long Pause Bench 3ct:

95x3
95x3
95x3

Pushups to death. 128 in total. Random sets on the minute every minute. Got it done in 13 sets. Sweating like a pork chop.

Notes:

• Dead.

• everything felt super silky. The long pause bench, and old friend, felt glorious. Basically pause it perfectly on the chest until my head explodes from the blood pressure :joy:. Tempo control down, pause, explode. Fun.

• Deadlifts felt better today, leaving the pushups until After the main work is smart. Lol. That’s not going to work for the bigger days coming up…But yeah. I’ll solider on and deap with it for another 10-12 days whatever it is.

• terrible sleep last night, followed by a very stressful day of work made the light weights make even more sense. Then the smashing from the pushups made for a nicely balanced workout.

Fin!

4 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/C8T6cGbSZaD/?igsh=MWNibndlMmtsZm12MQ==

1 Like

Short on time today.

150 pushups done
And did some standing heavy hands with the 26kg dumbbells.
2 minutes per “set”. Did it three times. I get a weird second wind at like the 1:40 mark and feels like I could go onto near 3 minutes lol.

A good little piece of work for the day. Early tomorrow morning will be a communist gym visit out west again. Same place as usual. Will be hoping to squat, but whatever comes my way…I’ll have to get it a lot of the pushups during that session, maybe ill shoot for half. And do the second half in my motel room that evening.

Fin.

3 Likes

Awake naturally at 0520, so I got up. Already was set for 525… This happens most days to me.

Got some breakfast in, then headed to the local gym.

Squat:

20x5
20x5
60x2
60x2
80x1

72.5x6
72.5x6
72.5x6 - 159.8lbs

Bench:

20x12
60x6
80x4

95x4
95x4
95x4
95x4
95x4 - 209.4lbs

Tempo bench 3-3-0

87.5x5 - 192.2lbs
87.5x5
82.5x5

Plus 172 pushups… Some before. Some during. Some tonight.

Notes:

• squats were rough. It was below zero when I walked to the gym from the motel. Warmed up on a spin bike, but it wasn’t much warmer in the gym. Was doing pushups and chinups between squat sets to keep warm.

• bench was ok. The pushups warmed that up enough :joy:. The tempo stuff was brutal…

• back home tomorrow around 7pm. Damn the work trips in Winter!

Fin

3 Likes

175 Pushups today. 75 in my motel room this morning at 630. 25 more next to my hire car during a pit stop…
And 75 to finish tonight once I got home.

Rough.

Onwards.

3 Likes

195 pushups.

13 sets of 15. Done. Not bad today, actually kinda easy. 200 tomorrow.

3 Likes

Have woken up this morning sick Again. Feels like 3rd time in a month. Though I assume it’s the same damn viral infection. Same symptoms. Body fine, not tired, just full of snot. :joy:.

Been chatting with a few mates, and it’s apparently Everywhere here in Australia. We are just getting flogged.

I’ll walk and train a bit later. Clear some of it out.

Fk.

2 Likes

Got worse as the day went on…a few body aches and what not.

Doesn’t matter. I need the rest after the last few weeks of work.

200 pushups today. Skipped the walk as the weather has just been dirt, with wind and rain all day.

Very sore…but tomorrow is a pushup rest day, so got them done in sets of 10 all day.

Buying a old spin bike of marketplace, I’ll go get it tomorrow if the lady will answer my message :joy:. Need something to keep moving, plus I want the extra cardio moving forward with this shitty winter weather haha.

Fin.

2 Likes

Weird. After feeling like death on Saturday…woke up Sunday feeling pretty much 95%. Just a runny nose. Same again today (Monday here in God’s country).

170 pushups today. Already completed 120. Feeling good.

Will get some squats in later with some bench (lol).

Still trying to buy a spin bike…why don’t people answer your messages when they are trying to sell their crap?

2 Likes

Got a Spin Bike! 40 bucks and only 20 minutes from my house…so went and tested it out…then bought it.

Resistance is great. It’s not a perfect bit of kit, but it was 40 dollars. The speedo and pedal straps are missing…but again…40 bucks. And I kind of like that motion is only created by Pushing my legs rather than cheating any revs by also pulling, as I just want this for my quads and knees.

Quick 10 minutes just now. Resistance up high. Made for a rather good yet quick go.
Paired with the 186 pushups today.

Last night I ended up back in the garage with a look to doing some squatting. But no. Somehow I’ve injured my knee, I think while doing 3x6 last week. A small fuzzy memory of something happening on rep 5 of set 2. I dunno. It was cold, I was stiff, it wasn’t a fun morning.

Squatting dead before it begins…lol. possible that I tried to do too much too soon. But eh, let’s rehab it and continue. Hoping the bike helps with that, if nothing else it’s going to be a great conditioning tool.

Instead of squatting, I completed what felt like millions of rehab type reps. Side planks, lateral banded crab walk things, lots of banded addiction stuff and an endless amount TFL, Hip Flexor, quad and glute medial stuff including lacrosse ball, massage gun and roller, and some banded kettlebell sumo deadlifts.

Sore as hell from it all. :joy:. But ten minutes on the bike and the Dom’s is all subsided for now.

Cool.

Fin.

6 Likes

I’ve been looking to do the same (get a cheap stationary bike of some sort). The guy that lives adjacent to me has a tiny shed where he just has a bike and some speakers. Doing a quick 20-30mins on my off days without having to travel to the gym would be a gamechanger. Was it Facebook Marketplace you managed to get it from or somewhere else?

1 Like

Yeah FB marketplace mate. I just checked everyday for a few days. Found 3 options in the end, but only seller was making the effort to reply to my enquiry.

Just did another quick 20 minutes. Found a nice pace I could sustain for the period. Probably could hold that a whole whole longer also. HR was circa 110bpm for the journey once it had risen. Mind you, even at that pace it took about 3 minutes for it climb there and steady. So probably not as unfit as I think.

I don’t know much about HR zones…will read up on that. 110 was fast enough to have me sweating, but no trouble talking or reading texts etc.

Thinking this will become a thing to do while watching the footy sometimes. That’s cheap cardio. Really cheap.

1 Like