They Were Actually Quoting...

Lincoln did not free the slaves. He was dead. rest in pieces jackass. Anywho, it was the US Congress that banished slavery in the US.

On another note, the Confederate States of America abolished the importation of slaves.

Food for thought.

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:
Lincoln did not free the slaves. He was dead. rest in pieces jackass. Anywho, it was the US Congress that banished slavery in the US.

On another note, the Confederate States of America abolished the importation of slaves.

Food for thought.[/quote]

Though against slavery, Lincoln was definitely not without prejudice.

Read the 4th Lincoln Douglas debate.

“I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people … I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything. I do not understand that because I do not want a negro woman for a slave I must necessarily want her for a wife. My understanding is that I can just let her alone.”

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:
[/quote]

Hmm…correct. Lincoln never had the “best interest” of slaves in the first place.

[quote]

Food for thought.[/quote]

Incorrect. The actual import of slaves was abolished by US Congress in January 1,1808. Long before there was even a Confederate States of America. The southern states ignored and still imported slaves illegally after the ban.

However,some Southern states did abolish import of slaves at their own individual discretion before 1808…BUT only temporarily.

So we’re discussing about something that cannot be changed, ever?

Yeah, sounds real productive.

[quote]Sick Rick wrote:

Yeah, sounds real productive.[/quote]

About as productive as you chiming in without having a clue about what is being discussed.

where did you guys learn all this stuff?
I don’t understand how people can aruge about something so BIG.

If it’s set in stone, it’s set in stone…how can other people have diff. stories about it if/it should be published. It’s technically all the same stuff so shouldn’t everyone know the correct facts because it should be published in ALL books correctly, therefore meaning you can’t argue about it because all the info is the same.

How can you tell which books to believe/not to believe about slavery?

what the fuck does anything of this have to do with quotes?>

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
I hate to contribute to making this a thread more suited for PWI,but I just have to chime in. As a person descended from slaves,its easy to talk shit about our founding fathers…for obvious reasons. If anything,the founding fathers could be chastised for not diligently pushing for an end of slavery immediately and playing politics with the issue. Especially when it came to getting Southern states to sign the Constitution.

They were not blind to the fact that slavery had become the economic and political backbone of the country(especially the South) and that ending slavery would be no easy or quick feat. I do feel that there was an overall lapse in judgment of the cultural/moral implications of slavery and its effects on society afterward.

Regardless of their shortcomings and sparse hypocrisy of the issue, you have to give them credit for their actions that eventually led to the ending of slavery. But you could not have expected them to change the hearts of men. And keep in mind that the term “founding fathers” extends beyond presidents and most known figures of our country. With all of that aside,I feel that their words are universal…and worthy of living(and dying) by…no matter what color of skin you are.

[/quote]

More eloquently stated than myself. Nicely said.

mike

[quote]spyoptic wrote:
what the fuck does anything of this have to do with quotes?>[/quote]

I know. I wasn’t expecting this at all. I gave the quote as a link to the now common phrase among lifters “No Pain, No Gain”.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
where did you guys learn all this stuff?
I don’t understand how people can aruge about something so BIG.

If it’s set in stone, it’s set in stone…how can other people have diff. stories about it if/it should be published. It’s technically all the same stuff so shouldn’t everyone know the correct facts because it should be published in ALL books correctly, therefore meaning you can’t argue about it because all the info is the same.

How can you tell which books to believe/not to believe about slavery?
[/quote]

Most people aren’t arguing about facts. The facts are there, they exist, have been thoroughly researched and well documented. What comes next is… not propaganda… but definitely a skewing of the truth. History is often told as a story, and the minor details are brushed aside in lieu of letting the plot unfold. So Americans hear the greatness of the founding fathers without necessarily hearing their flaws.

Then, of course, there’s the opinion that the Founding Fathers were NOTHING but flaws, which is also incorrect. The truth lies somewhere in between. They were good men, but still men.

And very quotable :slight_smile:

[quote]SickAbs wrote:
wushu_1984 wrote:

Just came across this. Man, what didn’t the founding fathers know?

That slavery is an abhorrent act?

…im sry lol, im half black[/quote]

Unfortunately, before the discovery of genetic identity and what actually constituted the phylogenetic differences between traits/races/species, no-one could have made a unambiguous and empirical argument that “black” people were no less human than “white” people.

[quote]Sick Rick wrote:

Yeah, sounds real productive.[/quote]

Yeah, fuck history, bra