Shin Splints & Shoulder Pain

[quote]debraD wrote:
^^Similarly I’ve heard of sitting on a table and hanging weight off your toes and lifting. (I haven’t tried it.)[/quote]

Yeah, something like that’s what I meant by the DB exercise. :slight_smile:

A ‘high tech’ way to train the tibialis would be to purchase a DARD.

http://www.qfac.com/gear/dard.html

I’ve had one for several years now and it really works well for that.

Also, I know this may sound crazy, but try these shoes: http://vibramfivefingers.com/

I run/sprint/walk in them and they feel amazing. I’ve heard of marathon runners using them as well and they have no aches or pains.

I have been trying the dumbbell thing but have been holding back on jogging due to being a klutz and tripping over a curb. I seriously need to live in a bubble.

I have no idea if the dumbbells are working but it is reminding me to stretch out my legs and hip flexors so it is all good!

thanks for the suggestions

I am having problems with Frozen Shoulder!
Only I have it in both, with I guess is almost unheard of. Anyways, does anyone know of exercise that would help this, or info from experience!! Mgb

Shin splints are often caused by your foot not properly absorbing the impact/shock involved with running. Proper running shoes that accommodate your particular foot type are a must. Instead of trying to explain all of this I have linked a video for you that should explain everything.

Or you could find a shoe store that will evaluate your gait and make a shoe recommendation for you.

[quote]mgb wrote:
I am having problems with Frozen Shoulder!
Only I have it in both, with I guess is almost unheard of. Anyways, does anyone know of exercise that would help this, or info from experience!! Mgb[/quote]

Frozen shoulder is when the joint capsule around the glenohumeral begins to tighten. You need to do range of motion exercises to loosen the capsule and restore ROM.

Here’s a link to a good list of exercises Blue Ridge Region - EmergeOrtho

Also this is a great stretch for your shoulder SLEEPER STRETCH.WMV - YouTube

In my opinion, you are going to see the fastest improvement w/ cortisone injections but you would need to see an orthopedic for that.

[quote]obatiger11 wrote:
Shin splints are often caused by your foot not properly absorbing the impact/shock involved with running. Proper running shoes that accommodate your particular foot type are a must. Instead of trying to explain all of this I have linked a video for you that should explain everything.

Or you could find a shoe store that will evaluate your gait and make a shoe recommendation for you.
[/quote]

thank you obatiger, I was recently informed of a performance clinic in our area that does stride evaluations? I figure I will call for pricing and availability.