Racist Bullshit

Personally, I consider all types of cultural stereotyping and xenophobia as racism. People have been living in tribes made up of similar peoples for thousands of years and most seem to have developed the idea that their particular group is better then all the others and act accordingly towards all other people they consider different. This kind of arrogance is nothing new and I doubt it is going to change any time soon. I usually just ignore it when people assume that I am a communist or that I am an idiot or unable to understand or read English because of my heavy accent (because only people who talk with an American accent are capable of being smart) or that I am an illegal alien. It used to bother me when I first moved here but now I could care less. I have many fine friends and family who know me and treat me with respect and know that I am not an idiot or a communist and that I came here legally and went through the process of becoming a citizen. As long as no one tries to deny me the same rights as all other Americans or hurt me or anyone else because I or they are different, then I guess it is there right to look down on me and feel the way they do. When people cross the line from thinking someone is inferior for being different from them to actively trying to subjugate others and deny them rights on that basis then I have a problem and will do my best to stop it.

So what do you think about internalized racism? I have some experience in it because of dealing with my younger sister. She was convinced during her teenage years that white people are physically inferior and therefore are racist out of jealousy and spite (at least, that’s what I get from talking to her). She has told us repeatedly that she feels God made a mistake, and she was supposed to be black.

Talk about a slap in the face.

If by racism we mean the holding of another human being in lesser or greater innate esteem, dignity or worth based on the geographical/anthropological strain from which they are spawned? Then I say that that mindset is ignorant, illogical, unscientific and most importantly unbiblical. All men (and the gals) are created in the image of God.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
So what do you think about internalized racism? I have some experience in it because of dealing with my younger sister. She was convinced during her teenage years that white people are physically inferior and therefore are racist out of jealousy and spite (at least, that’s what I get from talking to her). She has told us repeatedly that she feels God made a mistake, and she was supposed to be black.

Talk about a slap in the face.[/quote]

Sometimes people take racial stereotypes too far, even positive ones like the black people are physically superior, when they identify with a certain group. My guess is that for some reason your sister idolizes black people and wants to be one. The main problem with people who identify too much with a group, whether it is racially, religiously, or culturally, they take their idolization too far and only concentrate on the positive aspects of the group they identify with. Your sister likes black culture, so she fixates on the myth of physical superiority of black people and uses that as a reason she thinks God made a mistake, but she ignores the fact that one look at the breakdown of Olympic medal winners and sports like real football, hockey, fencing, rugby, and baseball among others that the myths about the athletic and physical ability of one racial group are just not true. You will find many examples of physical and athletic ability among all groups of people, and you will also find many people who lack those attributes among all groups of people as well.

Honestly, I think people would do well to remember that there are good and bad things about all groups of people, and that it is better to develop your own identity within whatever group you happen to belong to. You can name any race or other group of people: Black, Anglo-Saxon, Aryan, Slavic, Asian, Christian, Jewish, Zoroastrian, atheist, American, British, Iraqi, Russian, communist, Nazi, whatever and I can find examples of things those groups have done that can be widely considered to be evil, and I can also find positive aspects of those groups too. Sometimes it is easier to compare the good and bad aspects of a group (for example, I don’t know of anybody who would agree that the good aspects of Nazi society outweigh the evil of the Holocaust), but it is usually hard to make a final call on a group when you look at it objectively.

The bottom line is that there really is no one group that is universally better at anything then all others, let alone everything. People should look at themselves first as individuals and their own accomplishments before trying to tag on to the accomplishments of others by trying to identify with the same racial/cultural group.

As for your sister, specifically, it seems that she admires physical power above other attributes, so maybe you should point out to her that not being black is no real hindrance as far as physical ability. Look up the results of past Olympic games and prominent athletes in lots of different sports, not just American football and basketball, and point out that it is more about individual ability and work ethic that determines success in anything then belonging to a specific race. Nothing is stopping her from developing her own physical abilities.

@ Tiribulus: I agree, but it can also mean holding someone else in higher regard than oneself based upon the same criteria.

I was recently told that its impossible for white people to be racist against white people. Absolutely not true.

Excellent post Dr.Matt, but it would be easier if she wasn’t a walking contradiction. Her baby-daddy is skinny as a rail and has zero athletic ability. Go figure.

I’m really not interested in arguing the point with her. I was just using her as an example.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
@ Tiribulus: I agree, but it can also mean holding someone else in higher regard than oneself based upon the same criteria.

I was recently told that its impossible for white people to be racist against white people. Absolutely not true.[/quote]I did say lesser OR greater. I do not wish to come off as insulting your sister. Truly I don’t, but that is one of the goofiest most irrational things I’ve ever heard. I’m not sure a person who has come to that kind of conclusion in the first place is capable in their present state of being “reasoned” out of it. I’m betting that I’m around more black people on a VERY regular basis than 99% of the white guys you’re likely ever to meet. Aside from being black their physical makeup, athleticism etc. varies just as wildly as any other ethnic group. Intellectual makeup too actually.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

[quote]TigerTime wrote:
Race is a thing. 200,000 years of evolution has changed more than just our skin.
[/quote]
So, if you were to take 10 different children from all over the world and raise them all in the same household with the same parents, what would the differences be when they all turned 18?[/quote]

Virtually the same difference you see when they don’t.

[quote]ranengin wrote:

[quote]TigerTime wrote:

Race is a thing. 200,000 years of evolution has changed more than just our skin.[/quote]

Pigmentation, hair texture, and slight bone structure differences seem superficial.

Larger differences like blood type certainly exist, but no one considers people with different blood types to be from different “races”.

Why is it that we define “race” solely based on superficial visual differences?

[/quote]

We don’t. When determining genetic variation between species do we only look at superficial visual differences?

Race affects virtually everything from bone density, muscle mass, brain size, white to grey matter ratio, muscle fiber type frequency, even the average pregnancy duration.

[quote]florelius wrote:

[quote]TigerTime wrote:

[quote]cwill1973 wrote:
Part of the perpetuation of racist nonsense is the idea people are of differing races. We are all the same race. People are simply reacting to differences in pigmentation, eye shape, culture, etc. All pretty silly if you ask me. [/quote]

The largest genetic gap between any two races is about 1/3 of a percent. If that sounds underwhelming to you, keep in mind we are only about 2% short of being chimps.

Race is a thing. 200,000 years of evolution has changed more than just our skin.

Your comment is an example of the cultural pendulum swinging way too far on too the other side. You don’t have to deny race to not be racist.[/quote]

human-race is a political term with political implications. Its believed that the term became popular under the colonial era as a means to explain why it was okay for europeens to control other peoples lands. From there its been used in many different situations as an legitimation for cruel actions against different groups. Ergo you honor that tradition if you try to upphold that term.

[/quote]

Uuuh no. Humans have recognized races for the entirety of our existence. It’s not euro-centric.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
So what do you think about internalized racism? I have some experience in it because of dealing with my younger sister. She was convinced during her teenage years that white people are physically inferior and therefore are racist out of jealousy and spite (at least, that’s what I get from talking to her). She has told us repeatedly that she feels God made a mistake, and she was supposed to be black.

Talk about a slap in the face.[/quote]

Well, compared to blacks, whites are physically inferior in many ways.

The rest of what she’s saying is nonsense, though.

…Well, compared to blacks, whites are physically inferior in many ways…

Damn…it’s GOTTA’ be all that chicken, watermelon and crack…

Mufasa

[quote]TigerTime wrote:

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
So what do you think about internalized racism? I have some experience in it because of dealing with my younger sister. She was convinced during her teenage years that white people are physically inferior and therefore are racist out of jealousy and spite (at least, that’s what I get from talking to her). She has told us repeatedly that she feels God made a mistake, and she was supposed to be black.

Talk about a slap in the face.[/quote]

Well, compared to blacks, whites are physically inferior in many ways.

The rest of what she’s saying is nonsense, though. [/quote]

This is total bullshit. There’s no such thing as “blacks” or “whites”. There’s just heavier or lighter skin pigmentation depending on the breeding preference of each individual’s ancestors related to their cumulative adaptation to sun exposure.

A 1/3 percent dna difference between races is meaningless because any finite set of characteristics that you choose to differentiate between “races” will have a larger number a differentiating characteristics between individuals within the race. You can never have a set of data large enough to make an accurate representation of the whole human population. You can only come close by getting data from billions of people at any given point in time. Of course that would be impossible to accomplish before hundreds of millions more are born.

So a waste of time on top of being meaningless.

Funny thing, was watching Fox news a few days ago and everyone was talking how there is no such thing as white privilege.

Then I just read how Rupert Murdoch talked about Romney burning off the hispanic vote. :smiley: I don’t know how to interpret that.

But the whole defending the tea baggers, defending Limbaugh for what he said about black quarterbacks etc… It’s funny to see people so oblivious to their problem because they cant seem to see out of their little sheltered worlds.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Alright, so obvious racism is obvious, but what about all the stupid little things people say that gets under your skin?

At what point does a statement go from an innocuous observation to a racial epithet?

How much truth, in your opinion, is there to the distinctions we point out among the races? If you can immediately think of a dozen exceptions, does it really qualify as a racial characteristic?

Why do people think that you can only be racist in favor of your own race, or in opposition to others?

How much of a role does racism play in the way we raise our children? In the way our children raise each other? (you parents know what I mean)

How much of all this is just complete and total bullshit that we impose on ourselves and each other? I say damn near all of it.
[/quote]

I once wrote on here that Tiki Barber was very ‘articulate’. After 350 posts wherein I was equated with David Duke, it was decided that black people are FAR TOO SENSITIVE.

If you say to a black man: “Nice haircut, bro!”, it secretly means that all black people want to look like wild animals and getting a haircut is unusual and to be lauded.

If you say to a black woman: “That’s a very nice outfit! Looks good on you!”, it secretly means that you think all black people are bums and hobos and are shocked they have nice clothes.

So I gave up. I rarely talk to black people anymore because…afterall, I’m David Fucking Duke. Jesus…

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Alright, so obvious racism is obvious, but what about all the stupid little things people say that gets under your skin?

At what point does a statement go from an innocuous observation to a racial epithet?

How much truth, in your opinion, is there to the distinctions we point out among the races? If you can immediately think of a dozen exceptions, does it really qualify as a racial characteristic?

Why do people think that you can only be racist in favor of your own race, or in opposition to others?

How much of a role does racism play in the way we raise our children? In the way our children raise each other? (you parents know what I mean)

How much of all this is just complete and total bullshit that we impose on ourselves and each other? I say damn near all of it.
[/quote]

I once wrote on here that Tiki Barber was very ‘articulate’. After 350 posts wherein I was equated with David Duke, it was decided that black people are FAR TOO SENSITIVE.

If you say to a black man: “Nice haircut, bro!”, it secretly means that all black people want to look like wild animals and getting a haircut is unusual and to be lauded.

If you say to a black woman: “That’s a very nice outfit! Looks good on you!”, it secretly means that you think all black people are bums and hobos and are shocked they have nice clothes.

So I gave up. I rarely talk to black people anymore because…afterall, I’m David Fucking Duke. Jesus…
[/quote]All this will change when you come to church with me. =]

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Alright, so obvious racism is obvious, but what about all the stupid little things people say that gets under your skin?

At what point does a statement go from an innocuous observation to a racial epithet?

How much truth, in your opinion, is there to the distinctions we point out among the races? If you can immediately think of a dozen exceptions, does it really qualify as a racial characteristic?

Why do people think that you can only be racist in favor of your own race, or in opposition to others?

How much of a role does racism play in the way we raise our children? In the way our children raise each other? (you parents know what I mean)

How much of all this is just complete and total bullshit that we impose on ourselves and each other? I say damn near all of it.
[/quote]

I once wrote on here that Tiki Barber was very ‘articulate’. After 350 posts wherein I was equated with David Duke, it was decided that black people are FAR TOO SENSITIVE.

If you say to a black man: “Nice haircut, bro!”, it secretly means that all black people want to look like wild animals and getting a haircut is unusual and to be lauded.

If you say to a black woman: “That’s a very nice outfit! Looks good on you!”, it secretly means that you think all black people are bums and hobos and are shocked they have nice clothes.

So I gave up. I rarely talk to black people anymore because…afterall, I’m David Fucking Duke. Jesus…
[/quote]All this will change when you come to church with me. =]
[/quote]

You gonna turn him into Fred Phelps! NOOOOOOO! :smiley: JK man, you left it open!

Racism is an ideology.
An ideology that tend to reformulate and interpret all social relationships in terms of “race warfare”, in same way marxism reformulate and interpret society in terms of class warfare.

the vast majority of what people call “racism” is not racism, but xenophobia, chauvinism, bigotry or cultural intolerance.
All of which are symptoms of an underlying cultural insecurity.

Like always, it would be wiser to treat the disease itself, rather than one of its symptoms.

[quote]Severiano wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Alright, so obvious racism is obvious, but what about all the stupid little things people say that gets under your skin?

At what point does a statement go from an innocuous observation to a racial epithet?

How much truth, in your opinion, is there to the distinctions we point out among the races? If you can immediately think of a dozen exceptions, does it really qualify as a racial characteristic?

Why do people think that you can only be racist in favor of your own race, or in opposition to others?

How much of a role does racism play in the way we raise our children? In the way our children raise each other? (you parents know what I mean)

How much of all this is just complete and total bullshit that we impose on ourselves and each other? I say damn near all of it.
[/quote]

I once wrote on here that Tiki Barber was very ‘articulate’. After 350 posts wherein I was equated with David Duke, it was decided that black people are FAR TOO SENSITIVE.

If you say to a black man: “Nice haircut, bro!”, it secretly means that all black people want to look like wild animals and getting a haircut is unusual and to be lauded.

If you say to a black woman: “That’s a very nice outfit! Looks good on you!”, it secretly means that you think all black people are bums and hobos and are shocked they have nice clothes.

So I gave up. I rarely talk to black people anymore because…afterall, I’m David Fucking Duke. Jesus…
[/quote]All this will change when you come to church with me. =]
[/quote]

You gonna turn him into Fred Phelps! NOOOOOOO! :smiley: JK man, you left it open!
[/quote]

Fred Phelps is actually very much against racism. He spent much of his law career fighting Jim Crow laws and represented many black clients in times of racial segregation.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Alright, so obvious racism is obvious, but what about all the stupid little things people say that gets under your skin?

At what point does a statement go from an innocuous observation to a racial epithet?

How much truth, in your opinion, is there to the distinctions we point out among the races? If you can immediately think of a dozen exceptions, does it really qualify as a racial characteristic?

Why do people think that you can only be racist in favor of your own race, or in opposition to others?

How much of a role does racism play in the way we raise our children? In the way our children raise each other? (you parents know what I mean)

How much of all this is just complete and total bullshit that we impose on ourselves and each other? I say damn near all of it.
[/quote]

I once wrote on here that Tiki Barber was very ‘articulate’. After 350 posts wherein I was equated with David Duke, it was decided that black people are FAR TOO SENSITIVE.

If you say to a black man: “Nice haircut, bro!”, it secretly means that all black people want to look like wild animals and getting a haircut is unusual and to be lauded.

If you say to a black woman: “That’s a very nice outfit! Looks good on you!”, it secretly means that you think all black people are bums and hobos and are shocked they have nice clothes.

So I gave up. I rarely talk to black people anymore because…afterall, I’m David Fucking Duke. Jesus…
[/quote]

I think there may be a little truth to your assertion . I how ever find white to be just as sensitive . I do how ever think a little sensitivity may be enlightening for you .