Protocol Suggestions / Bloodwork Interpretation

What is the difference between high calcium and calcification?

And do you have any labs where the serum calcium was actually elevated due to vitamin d supplementation or are you saying you felt symptoms of high calcium but serum calcium was normal?

When I was diagnosed with very low vitamin K levels, I was already experiencing symptoms and had a calcium level to go along with it, which wasn’t high at 9.2. I then started supplementing vitamin K, and the symptoms diminished greatly.

It wasn’t until recently that I experienced high calcium at 10.3. So I had to back down my vitamin D dose.

If I miss my vitamin K dose tomorrow when I take my vitamin D, whoa!

If you are following Saladinos diet you are delusional sorry to break that down for you. You need carbs, vegs and fiber. You will run into long-term health problems. Forget what that clown says and study/research real nutrition and how the body works if you want to go down the rabbit hole. Some of the gut microbiome that has died already from eating this way and which will die further, think different colonies of bacteria, have a very high likelyhood to never recover and they are linked to various health benefits. Remember no serious long-term keto/carnivore studies are there so basically you’re that mouse doing the experiment fwiw. Like somebody already pointed out that your “diet” is garbage, but seems you didn’t pay any attention at all.

Good luck and hope it works out for you.

Right on. So what is the best way to fix my lipids?

Eating fruit is getting carbs isn’t it?

What do vegetables provide that fruit and meat don’t provide?

Serious questions because my lipids have been shit even on a “balanced” diet long before all of this.

@darthmason Hey man, any feedback? Really trying to get my diet aligned to improve my metabolic health and could use some advice.

I gave you feedback…which you then quickly dismissed and justified your poor health choices. I still stand on what I said upfront as far as what I see and what I would suggest focusing on. I asked what you ate and you pointed back to your general list…except the snacks and cheats: french toast, cookies, and chips…and the raw liver…etc. I don’t believe you’re being honest with yourself on diet choices or amounts and justify it with your photo as “not that bad” - yet.
You keep saying metabolic health - you are on synthroid. I assume you’ve been diagnosed hypothyroid which means you have a broken metabolism. Get your dosage and your diet right and you may find what you’re looking for.

Not at all. I’m not justifying any of it. I’m just answer the questions you asked. You did say I was lying about what I’m eating. I have no reason to lie about that so I told you again my diet. I referenced my photo because i would think by my blood work you’d think I was alot fatter than I am.

Training and nutrition aren’t my life so I’m pretty ignorant to a lot of this stuff. That’s why I attached my blood work so you can see long before this current way of eating my lipids and other things weren’t great. I have a family history of heart attacks, my heart rate is around 100 all day so for sure cardio health is an issue for me. There’s more of a backstory to this in my other post.

Im trying to get synthroid dose upped but doctor wants to wait. But I will keep pushing for this.

1. I know nutrition is very important, that’s why I asked about a better diet. Everything I see online and YouTube contradicts each other. So I picked one that made sense to me but as you and the other dude said, this plan is trash.Can you point me in the right direction?

2. You mention vegetables. I asked the other guy this too, but what do vegetables provide that fruit and meat don’t? Genuine question. From my knowledge it’s only fiber and if my digestion is good wouldn’t that assume I’m good?

3. Do you know what would cause vitamin D supps to raise my calcium? I can’t find anyone who has this issue. I have low vitamin d even 10 years ago before all these issues.

4. I know I need carbs for many reasons and I want to include more carbs but I thought low carb would be the way to lower triglycerides and insulin. What would you recommend?

5. My pre trt levels were TT 368 and 336. FT 18.1. LH 3.2 and FSH 2.6. I’d like to try focusing on nutrition and lifestyle to come off trt. Do you think that’s possible?

Wait a minute here - let’s not mix words. I did not say that. What I SUGGESTED was you should write down what you eat for a week to see what you actually eat to get an accurate picture because your amounts and “general” eating were broad (example 4-8 oz of x). Which is it (4/5/6/7/8 oz? Makes a difference). Then as the onion was peeled back, you revealed additional items not listed in your diet like your cheats, raw liver, water, etc. So my point was your list was not accurate by broad ranges and additions.
You have now identified you have a history of cardiac disease. Your high fat diet and your blood markers for cardiac health show you are in a bad spot. Your bloodwork represents what’s happening INSIDE as well. Educate yourself here too. What are the important markers for cardiovascular health, etc. Trying to judge your health by a physical photo isn’t a good approach when you’re susceptible to cardiac issues. It also appears like you are looking to hit the easy button and want someone to just tell you what to do. Not the best idea to ask the internet for health advice given your situation.
You owe it to yourself to educate, well, yourself. How old are you now? You’ve literally asked several times why a vegetable is important in one’s diet. I suggest you educate yourself on:

1. Macro Nutrients - Protein, Carbs, and Fats and why each are important
  2. Micro Nutrients - all those vitamins and minerals your health needs and good places the come from (good chance your vegetable answer can be found here as well as understanding why they are a good carb source - especially in your situation).
  3. Find a balanced diet or better yet, one that is heart healthy to get your lipids and cardio markers in check (Fish, chicken, LEAN red meat very sparingly, carbs from vegetables as your primary source).
    This site is LOADED with articles.
    Nutrition for Newbies - Part 1 (t-nation.com)
    Nutrition for Newbies - Part 2 (t-nation.com)
    Nutrition For Newbies (t-nation.com)
    I also suggest you look up Stan Efferding and listen to his talks on Blood Pressure, Blood sugar, and 10 minute walks after you eat. Game changers.
    Work with your Synthroid and TRT providers in concert with the above.
    Start an exercise program. A basic, balanced program for beginners - again, tons of options here. Pick one and get started. Do the work and you’ll start to get the answers you’re looking for.
1 Like

Male
Height: 5’9"
Weight: 180lbs (down about 10lbs since July 2022) I believe my ideal weight is 160s? So that is my goal

Symptoms:

• Heart rate is 90-105 even all day even when resting
  • Horrible anxiety (never had until all this health stuff started)
  • Easily fatigued
  • Adrenaline surges (not in a good way)
  • Dry skin
  • My outgoing personality is not like it used to be at all
  • Cold hands and feet (turn a shade of blue easily)
  • Overall just don’t feel like myself consistently
  • somedays I feel pretty normal but most days I don’t
  • facial flushing
  • water retention (face mainly)
  • Libido hasn’t been great for years. But weirdly since stretching my legs and hips aggressively for the last 6 months, my libido has come back.

Recent Bloodwork: Was done 3 days after injection. Protocol is 110mg/wk (1 injection) and 50mcg Synthroid/daily. I asked for increase in t4 and also asked to switch to armour but doc wanted to focus on nutrition before changing anything. I did make sure I waited 1-2 hours after taking thyroid med to eat though and that seemed to help a little (on labs).

CBC

• WBC: 7.2 (3.4 - 10.8)
  • Hemoglobin: 16.5 (13 - 17)
  • Hematocrit: 48.4 (37.5 - 51)
  • MCV: 87 ( 79 -97)
  • RBC: 5.56 (4.14 - 5.8)
  • MCHC: 34.1 (31.5 - 35.7)

CMP

• Glucose: 97 (70 - 99) Not optimal
  • BUN: 11 (6-20)
  • Creatinine: .99 (.76 - 1.27)
  • eGFR: 104 (>59)
  • BUN/Creatinine: 11 (9-20)
  • Potassium: 3.9 (3.5-5.2) Lowish
  • Chloride: 98 (96-106) Lowish
  • Carbon Dioxide: 24 (20-29)
  • Calcium: 9.9 (8.7-10.2)
  • Protein Total: 8 (6-8.5) Highish
  • Albumin: 5.4 (4-5) High. It is has always been high. I drink easily 100oz+ water daily and my urine is clear so not sure how it could be dehyration
  • A/G Ratio: 2.1 (1.2 - 2.2) Highish
  • Alkaline Phosphatase: 62 (44-121)
  • AST: 18 (0-40)
  • ALT: 22 (0-44)
  • Anion Gap: 17 High. this has been high on all of my blood test since all of this started

Lipids

• Cholesterol Total: 304 (100-199) High
  • Triglycerides: 293 (0-149) High
  • HDL: 31 (>39) Low
  • VLDL: 60 (5-40) High
  • LDL: 213 (0-99) High
  • Apolipoprotein B: 186 (<90) High

Iron and TIBC

• TIBC: 373 (250-450)
  • UIBC: 267 (111-343)
  • Iron: 106 (38-169)
  • Iron Saturation: 28% (15-55) for the longest time this was below range
  • Ferritin: 368 (30-400) Highish

Hormones & Vitamins

• Testosterone: 726 (264-916)
  • Free Test: 27.3 (8.7-25.1)
  • Estradiol: 29.1 (7.6-42.6)
  • TSH: 1.23 (.45 - 4.5) Best my TSH has been out of the 15ish times they’ve been tested over the years
  • FT4:1.39 (.82-1.77)
  • T4: 8 (4.5-12)
  • FT3: 3 (2-4.4) seems lowish
  • TT3: 97 (71-180) Seems lowish
  • Insulin: 19.2 (2.6-24.9) High and possibly the root of everything?
  • C-Peptide: 2.8 (1.1-4.4)
  • Hemoglobin A1C: 5.2% (4.8-5.6) good but insulin is shit?
  • PTH: 15 (15-65) Lowish
  • Folate: 10.3 (>3)
  • B12: 667
  • Vitamin D: 22.7 (30-100) Low. I’ve raised it by taking supplement but I always feel worse on supps because even at 2000 IU every other day, my calcium goes high and PTH is below range

Inflammation

• CRP: 2.8 (1.1-4.4)
  • ESR: 19 (0-15) High. Last test 2 months before was 10 (normal)
  • Homocysteine: 9.6 (0-14.5
  • Ferritin: 368 (30-400) Highish

I’ve done research on nutrition. I’ve watched Dr. Bergs, Stan Efferding, Paul Saulodino, Dr. Sten Ekberg, Ray Peat, ect. The more research I do the more I see contradictory advice. The common principle I see, obviously, is avoiding processed foods. I have been trying to focus on nutrition to fix my piss poor metabolic health for the last 6 months or so, although I do slip up, it is my primary focus.

Yesterday I ate the following:

Breakast

• Half a banana
  • .5 oz raw beef liver
  • 4oz ribeye steak
  • 2 whole eggs fried in tsp on butter
  • Orange-
  • 8oz whole milk

Snack

• 8oz coconut water

Dinner

• 8oz chuck roast
  • 2 pieces of toast with tbsp of butter
  • 7oz frozen watermelon, 1 cup of blueberries blended in water

Other
I drink 3-5 32oz things of water every day
I’m heavy on sea salt for all meat and eggs.

Breakdown
Calories: 1877
Protein: 117
Carbs: 133
Fat: 97

I do not track calories religiously. Sometimes I feel more hungry and some days not as much. I eat beef liver every few days, not every day. Overall, the above day of eating is typical, sometimes more, sometimes less. The bread at dinner isn’t an everyday thing as I try to eat rice or potatoes more but a lot of times my only carbs is fruit. I do eat a small dominos cheese pizza on average once/3 weeks. I might have a soda once a month… probably less. The milk has replaced 100% orange juice as of 2-3 weeks ago. In general I aim for 100-150 grams of protein from red meat and sardines, sometimes salmon. fruit is daily for me as well. I tend to feel better lower carb but after a while it’s like my body craves more filling foods which is where the pizza, potatoes, rice, buttered toast come into play.

@darthmason Do you know what could cause insulin resistance while my A1c is actually pretty good? Could it be that my thyroid is not optimized? Or maybe I need to fast?

Your trend continues…

1 Like

The sensitivity level at the receptor for fT3, if high means you can get by with less. This level may be normal for you. Some of my bio markers (vitamin D, B12) are low normal and anytime I try to increase them with supplements, even at below normal daily allowances, I run into problems. Not everything needs optimization and some bio markers may be optimal right where they are.

…. And I’m trying to reverse the trend. Would you recommend low carb or low fat? Fasting? I have researched nutrition like you have suggested. I’m following principles of the vertical diet By Stan eferding. You say my high fat diet is problematic but I also read high carbs is bad for insulin resistance. So this is one of those contradictory things I’m confused about.

I have tested my A1C 6 times since March 2020. The range has been 5.1-5.4. My CRP, and homocysteine has decreased since eating this way.

I do walk a for 30-40 minutes everyday (1-1.5 miles) plus whatever I get in between. Unfortunately I can’t do anything intense or it messes me up. I have tried numerous times. I was boxing, lifting, and playing softball before all of this started.

How do I know if the receptor is high or low?

I had free thyroxine index and t3 uptake tested, is that how you tell?

Free thyroxine index: 1.6 (1.2-4.9)
T3 Uptake: 26 (24-39)

There is no test for this.

Free thyroxine index is less reliable than checking fT3 directly, but it saves insurance companies money because fT3 testing is more expensive.

Checking TT3 (not same as fT3) is more useful in diagnosing hyperthyroidism.

Total Thyroxine (TT4) and Total Triiodothyronine (TT3) Methods (medscape.com)

1 Like