Book You'd Like to See As a Movie?

[quote]Carl Spackler wrote:
I’d go to see a good Fahrenheit 451.[/quote]

There is a 1966 film version of this book.

There may be a re-make, there are rumors that this film is currently in production. I don’t know who the director is, or who is in the acting line up.

In before this turns into a religious debate.

Infinite Jest would make a stupendous movie.

It would just have to be about 8 hours long.

they could show it on a double bill with that andy warhol movie empire.

Foundation Trilogy, Angels and Demons, Imagica, all would be awesome. They have finally made the movie that I have been wanting to see made; more short story than novel- Stephen King’s “The Mist.”

[quote]JohnnyBlaze wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Chewie wrote:
I do not understand the praise of the His Dark Materials trilogy.

I’m not trying to make this into a religious debate, but those books are very offensive to the religious (especially Catholics).

I am not familiar at all with this. Would you care to elaborate?

I think a couple of the main things are that in the books, each person is guided by a “daemon” which is a part of them. The religious would think it is demonic.

Also, in the story there is a knife called Aesettr, or the God Killer, which is the only knife capable of “killing God”. There is a faction of rebel angels out to kill the one sitting in the highest throne, who is an ancient angel called Metatron.

So the “God being killed” in the novel is an angel who has been sitting in the throne calling himself God - so Christians should be cheering to see an impostor outed from that position just like Lucifer was in the first rebellion.

The story involves parallel universes, travelling between them, and so forth, by cutting a hole in the fabric of reality with this knife.

I did not find the stories offensive; they are just fantasy and meant to be taken as such. I still can’t bring myself to pronounce ‘daemon’ as demon though, because of my own religious upbringing - I still say “daimon”.

Pretty much anything offends the religious anyway. Harry Potter offends the religious. Lord of the Rings offends them. Rock and Roll offends them…nudity offends them…anything from another religion or even another sect within the same religion offends them…[/quote]

you’re a strange fellow. While on one hand you do not find the stories religiously offensive, you cannot say demon because it irritates you.

Anyway, if Fantasy is concerned, it’s good to hear that the superb “Song of Ice and Fire” will very likely be produced by HBO as a miniseries (one season per book).

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
I’d go to see a good Fahrenheit 451.

There may be a re-make, there are rumors that this film is currently in production. I don’t know who the director is, or who is in the acting line up.
[/quote]

Holy Shit. In case no one told you today, you’re awesome Momma. Based on what you said, I checked IMDB. Fahrenheit 451 (2018) - IMDb

Fahrenheit 451 is expected for 2009.

Written and Directed by Frank Darabont (writer/director of The Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, and the Mist) and possibly starring Tom Hanks.

JohnnyBlaze-That’s an interesting take on the movie. I know very little about it, other than the very little I have read about it, and what other people have talked about. You may have changed my mind on that one…

As for the original question, I really was looking forward to a movie version of ‘Point of Impact’…and then they made Shooter.

I know they can’t always follow the book exactly, and in that specific case it would have made for a really long, complex and detailed movie with multiple subplots, but it would have been worth it compared to the garbage they shit out. I would have sat through a 3 hour version of that movie without blinking.

A long way gone…just read it and it would probably make a great movie.

Kama Sutra

Has that already been made?

[quote]Chewie wrote:
Kama Sutra

Has that already been made? [/quote]

Yeah.

Every night at my place.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
Anyway, if Fantasy is concerned, it’s good to hear that the superb “Song of Ice and Fire” will very likely be produced by HBO as a miniseries (one season per book).

[/quote]

That is awesome. Such a great series–I hope they do it justice.

Slaughterhouse 5 or Sirens of Titen by Vonnegut would be make great movies. I would like to see “The Hobbit” as a movie, but I doubt that will happen. Also, the Drizzt series of books by RA Salvatore would make an okay movie series–not exactly deep books, but action packed with plenty of opportunities for good swoard play scenes.

[quote]JohnnyBlaze wrote:
Yes, I wanted to see the Golden Compass, Subtle Knife and Amber Spyglass (all of the His Dark Materials trilogy) as movies, so they better damn well be good!

Other books would include some of the Raymond E. Feist novels…

hmmm, can’t think of anything else right now but there would be a lot.[/quote]

Yeah, I could dig a movie on Raymond Feist’s novels as well or Tad Williams’ Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy.

[quote]Carl Spackler wrote:
Yo Momma wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
I’d go to see a good Fahrenheit 451.

Holy Shit. In case no one told you today, you’re awesome Momma. Based on what you said, I checked IMDB. Fahrenheit 451 (2018) - IMDb

Fahrenheit 451 is expected for 2009.

Written and Directed by Frank Darabont (writer/director of The Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, and the Mist) and possibly starring Tom Hanks.[/quote]

I read a couple months ago that 1984 is also being re-remade.

Supposedly being directed by Tim Robbins.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Chewie wrote:
Kama Sutra

Has that already been made?

Yeah.

Every night at my place.

[/quote]

Checks profile for pics

[quote]Chewie wrote:
Kama Sutra

Has that already been made? [/quote]

Yea it was made in the UK, it was an okay film but it kind of turns into a poor drama. Watching it as a 15 year old I found it pretty good ;), lot’s of good sex scenes interwoven with the plot and it has a decent ending.

I would like to see the Dark Tower series by Stephen King made into a film.

[quote]Shire wrote:
Chewie wrote:
Kama Sutra

I would like to see the Dark Tower series by Stephen King made into a film.[/quote]

King sold the rights for them to J.J. Abrams for $19.

[quote]pookie wrote:
I’d love to see Dan Simmons’ Hyperion quantos (4 books) made into a movie. Unlikely though, since the Catholic Church is cast as the villain… But the faster-than-light travel gimmick is unequaled in all of science fiction.

Not really book based per se (although there are books) but I’d really love to see a well made Halo movie.

Niven and Pournelle’s “The Mote in God’s Eye” and “The Gripping Hand” could make great movies.
[/quote]

The Mote in God’s Eye was one of the first scifi books I read and I’ve been hooked ever sense. The Hyperion books are damn awesome as well.

Atomic Dog.

[quote]BabyBuster wrote:
Shire wrote:
Chewie wrote:
Kama Sutra

I would like to see the Dark Tower series by Stephen King made into a film.

King sold the rights for them to J.J. Abrams for $19.[/quote]

So what does that mean for a film adaption?

I’d have to go with a series of movies based of Anne McCaffrey’s books about Pern and everything pertaining to it. ie… Dragonflight, The White Dragon, Dragonquest, Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, Dragondrums,…etc…

They could make AT LEAST 10-15 movies off of this series of books alone…

http://www.annemccaffrey.org/index.php?page_id=30

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
JohnnyBlaze wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Chewie wrote:
I do not understand the praise of the His Dark Materials trilogy.

I’m not trying to make this into a religious debate, but those books are very offensive to the religious (especially Catholics).

I am not familiar at all with this. Would you care to elaborate?

I think a couple of the main things are that in the books, each person is guided by a “daemon” which is a part of them. The religious would think it is demonic.

Also, in the story there is a knife called Aesettr, or the God Killer, which is the only knife capable of “killing God”. There is a faction of rebel angels out to kill the one sitting in the highest throne, who is an ancient angel called Metatron.

So the “God being killed” in the novel is an angel who has been sitting in the throne calling himself God - so Christians should be cheering to see an impostor outed from that position just like Lucifer was in the first rebellion.

The story involves parallel universes, travelling between them, and so forth, by cutting a hole in the fabric of reality with this knife.

I did not find the stories offensive; they are just fantasy and meant to be taken as such. I still can’t bring myself to pronounce ‘daemon’ as demon though, because of my own religious upbringing - I still say “daimon”.

Pretty much anything offends the religious anyway. Harry Potter offends the religious. Lord of the Rings offends them. Rock and Roll offends them…nudity offends them…anything from another religion or even another sect within the same religion offends them…

you’re a strange fellow. While on one hand you do not find the stories religiously offensive, you cannot say demon because it irritates you.

[/quote]

Personally, I think daemon should be pronounced the way it is spelled, and also adding to that, the fact that the word “demon” has long-standing negative connotations, regardless of religious stance.

The idea of each person having their personal daemon came from Socrates, who said that he had one that guided him. “The favor of the gods,” said Socrates, “has given me a marvelous gift, which has never left me since my childhood. It is a voice which, when it makes itself heard, deters me from what I am about to do and never urges me on.” He spoke familiarly of this daimon, joked about it and obeyed blindly the indications it gave.

Plato thinks that a kind of spirit, which is separate from us, receives man at his birth, and follows him in life and after death. He calls it “the daimon which has received us as its portionment.” The ancient idea of the daimon seems, therefore, to be analogous to the guardian angel of Christians.

There is also an idea that possibly the daimon is nothing but the higher part of man’s spirit, that which is separated from the human element.

So it is different to “demon”, as a demon is an external, evil supernatural being malevolent to man, while a daimon is an internal guiding principle that is part of man himself.

So therefore the pronunciations may confuse people.

Anyway, I have heard that the movie is largely going to be censored, with most of the considered offensive religious ideas removed. Kind of like His Dark Materials, the Lite version.